Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arleneb

Hummer in the garage!

arleneb
16 years ago

I have 5 feeders, none visible from any other, and who knows how many regular visitors. Right now I suspect I'm getting migration activity, because they're all over the place.

This morning the side garage door was left open and when I went in the garage, a poor hummer was in there, frantically trying to get out. He was just beating himself on the ceiling, flying from one area to the next, obviously very upset. I opened the two overhead doors and tried to gently guide him out with a broom but he got more frantic. Thinking cap time.

I closed the overheads, went out and got one of the feeders and suspended it in the open side door, about 2 feet from the top of the door. Then I got in the car and watched. In about 5 seconds he flew down to the feeder, took several deep drinks, and sat and rested. He obviously knew exactly what it was, even if it was in a strange place! I needed to leave for a meeting, so I gave him about 5 minutes to rest, and then quietly walked toward him. He took off out the open door to the neighbor's arbor vitae. Problem solved!

Maybe that would have been the obvious solution to all of you, but if not, keep it in mind if you ever have a hummer in your garage!

Dumb me: Should have gotten the camera!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions