Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

red Honeysuckle Major Wheeler

mehitabel
9 years ago

These are 4 years old, now about 20' high and will probably be on the pergola next year. It forms a tall thicket with blooms from Spring til frost. Only part of the upper three feet or so is visible from the house, but I see hummers there now and then.

Walking outside this evening I saw a juvenile perched on a small dangling branch of it, just sitting there looking around. I was within 4 feet of him, but below him, and kept very still. He sat there a long time, several minutes at least until chased off. A few minutes later saw a hummer feeding in the same vine. The vine is so thick the hummer nearly disappears once inside.

It's clear a lot of acitivity, resting, feeding, chasing goes on in these vines all the time out of sight of the house.

I'm so pleased I can provide these for them.

If you have the space for a big tall vine, give this one your consideration. It actually gave a few blooms the very first year, and was already a robust vine the second year. It puts on a tremendous show, just an eye-popping wall of red in May, then blooms all summer.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH
More Discussions