Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yardenman

Hummer Pictures

yardenman
16 years ago

I know people have posted hummer picutures before (and better ones than these), but these are my first so I am rather happy about them. I have 4 hummer feeders, but just this one next to the house. I suspect that because they are not used to seeing me around most of the feeders, they are a bit skittish.

I tried to take pics from just outside the deck door, but every time I reached for the camera button, they flew away. So I lowered the deck feeder and set up the camera inside the house and waited. And waited...

Finally, a female showed up and after flying around the feeder looking right at me, she landed and sipped. Standing unmoving behind the camera tripod and keeping my finger on the camera button for 20 minutes at a time was extremely boring (and tiring) but I finally did get some pics. There were two visits by male hummers, but they seem to really work at staying hidden by the necter bottle.

So, for what they're worth, here are the pics...

{{gwi:998060}}

{{gwi:998062}}

There were several others, but almost identical. Next time, I want to get one of the elusive males. I see them just fine frequently, just can't get a good pic of one. ;)

Comments (11)

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

Those are great photos.
    Those little guys remind me of the Meercats. Always on the alert!!

I can't tell the boys from the girls

• meyankee
    16 years ago

I blocked off the feeder stations that gave me bad or no shots with the camera. Now they are forced to use the ones where I can see them :)

• hidesert_windy
    16 years ago

These pix are SO much better than the ones I've taken. I was going to post a couple of mine to see if I could get an ID but now I think I'm going to have to go sit out in the yard and try harder to get some better pix LOL

melissa

• ctnchpr
    16 years ago

yardenman,
    Those are great photos!! You should be proud! They have perfect exposure and are in crisp focus. If you shot them through a window, then your windows are a lot cleaner than mine! ;-)

• rjinga
    16 years ago

Very nice pics!!! how close were you to them? the photos are so clear. what kind of camera were you using?

• rjinga
    16 years ago

I wanted to try to post the pics that I have...they are no where near as nice as yours, but like you stated, after standing still forEVER waiting, it's what I got and I'll just have to strive for both a better camera, and a better vantage point for future pics :)

(see the little guy perched on top of the hanging bracket)
    {{gwi:998066}}
    (look close you can see the guy on top and one more flying in for a drink...the one flying in didn't see the guy on top right away)

{{gwi:998067}}

{{gwi:998068}}

• birding_nut
    16 years ago

Very nice photos, Yardenman and rjinga.

BN

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Yardman and rjiinga

Thanks for sharing your photos. Yardman that looks like a best1 feeder, with the bottle shaped the way it is gives more viewing area though. Theres never enough photos , Im getting ready to make a new of post of some recent photos, not great but viewable.

• rjinga
    16 years ago

My pictures appear blurred because of condensation on the window I took it through. It's so hot and humid here that the windows (double paned) never get fully dried out....I'm going to work on that :)

• ctnchpr
    16 years ago

rjinga,
    Great pics!! I love that posture they assume (pic 3) just before they launch their attack. Totally focused!

• yardenman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rjinga - I took the pics from about two feet away, though the glass deck door. I know that it is a bit hard to see through them from the outside, so I figured the hummers might not see me. I still had to stay very still, though. I don't know how well the hummers can see through the glass, but they sure seem to know what shapes are "normal". Several of them hovered around in various spots looking at me while I was waiting to take pics!

I used a Fujifilm S3000 Finepix on a tripod to take the pictures.

Minnie - "I can't tell the boys from the girls". On the East Coast, we only have the Ruby-Throated Hummer. The male has a bright red throat and the females are drab. I envy people who have more than one kind of hummer to watch!

Hidesert Windy (melissa) - I tried to take some pics with the camera just outside the open deck door, but had no luck. As soon as I moved my hand out there to press the camera button, the hummers left. Pics through glass seems to be much more successful.

ctnchpr - "Those are great photos!! You should be proud! They have perfect exposure and are in crisp focus. If you shot them through a window, then your windows are a lot cleaner than mine!" I wish I could claim credit for the quality of the pics. But it was just "autofocus" on my digital camera. Aren't digital camera amazing? I did, however, thoroughly clean the deck door glass inside and out before attempting to take the pics. And I stood very still for a long time, which I suppose counts for something. ;)

Hummersteve - Yes, those are Best 1 feeders. I really like them. After years of poorly designed uncleanable feeders from home project stores, it is a pure pleasure to have feeders that are "take-apartable". And it didn't hurt that they were essentially free. Audobon keeps sending me $20 off offers and I keep "buying" their Best 1 feeders. LOL!

I know there is another feeder a lot of people like (forget the name) but my hummers (and I) are so happy with these that I don't plan to change anytime soon.

Birding Nut - "Very nice photos, Yardenman and rjinga." Thank you. I guess they really did come out pretty well. But I have to credit the camera... ;)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler
More Discussions