Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unusual Behavior

Posted by kdee_sba CA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 08 at 21:02

I live in Santa Barbara and have the joy of having hummingbirds in my garden year round. For the last week, I have had a male Anna hummingbird (quite a chubby little guy) guarding "his" feeder by sitting around 20 Ft. from it right on the patio floor - totally unprotected from any plants. I mean right on the patio slab! At first, I thought he was sick, but he surprised me because as soon as another hummer approaches the feeder, he is there in a split second. He has been exhbiting this behavior for the past week starting around 3-4 p.m. until nightfall.
I have been feeding hummers for over 25 years in CA and have never seen this odd form of behavior. My curiosity is at its peak - has anyone seen this kind of behavior?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unusual Behavior

Does he perhaps have a foot injury which makes him unable to perch?

Lorna

o

Lorna,
No, he doesn't appear to have a foot injury, as he still feeds from the feeder on the perch. I guess this is just one of those unexplained hummer behaviors...

o

I'm afraid I have no clue what he's doing, but hey, they are amazing little creatures and do many things that we don't understand! It must look quite funny I would imagine.

o

Yesterday my daughter saw a hummingbird sitting on the deck floor about 10 feet from where the feeder is hung. I thought there might be something wrong but when i got near the door to go out he zoomed away. She said he looked like he was sunning himself. I've never seen this before in 11 years of feeding and watching hummingbirds. It was a cool sunny day. If I see it again, I will try to get a picture. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with the bird.

o

something very strange just happened at my house, on Vancouver Island. A male and a female hummingbird were sitting on my sundeck. My dog was growling at something that's how I found them. The male was leaning against a cement post, my dog was tapping it with her paw. He didn't move. I asked my husand to come to pick them up and take them somewhere safe, when he tried to pick up the male he flew off. The female just moved to the edge of the deck. When I touched her slightly, she flew to our cherry tree and sat there for a while. In all the years that I have been feeding hummingbirds, I have never seen this before .. especially when my cocker spaniel was standing over them growling and touching them! Does anyone have any ideas why they would do this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here