Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Had a Special Treat Today!

Posted by eigdeh z6 NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 21:04

Okay... perhaps a normal occurance for most of you. I was walking to my most active feeder this afternoon and I saw a hummer coming to one of my other feeders. I froze and watched him drink from the feeder, then he took a sip from a bunch of flowers along the way to the feeder I was 8 feet from. He landed on that feeder and he drank for a long time. When he finished drinking he noticed me and flew right up to my face! Closest he got was about a foot! Then he backed up a foot and stayed there for a good 10 seconds and the flew around my head and returned to the front for a bit more. Then he flew away and chased another hummer.

It was so cool! Not sure if he was trying to defend the feeder or if he was just checking me out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Had a Special Treat Today!

LOL I have a RT female like that. She's been here for months and knows me well, she will fly up in front of my face to check me out. Fearless. She will even fly up to my sliding glass door and look in at me. I call her Nosey. It's a huge thrill to have a hummer come so close. Enjoy!

o

Today was pretty incredible. I had three hummers, at least two of which are juvies, coming to the feeder all day. For the heck of it I decided to put my face right up to the feeder. The hummers continued to come to the feeder and drink. They also hovered a few inches from my face, staring at me and checking me out. It was wild. The humming sound is loud when they are so close. Just a little bit ago I was messing with the feeder, adjusting it so I could put the rain guard on, when all three hummers came to the feeder(not at same time) as I was holding it in my hand. These little jewels are absolutely fearless and the experience was amazing.

o

Hawkeye

Thats great , enough to give you a slight rush. Ive noticed more boldness myself in the hummers that are here. I put face right to the window and they look at me but just go on feeding as if I wasnt even there. Maybe some of that comes with the frenzy of migration.

o

Glad things are going well for you hawk!

Activity here is back to non existent! Last week there was at least one here every five or so minutes. Since Sunday I am lucky to see 2 all day. :C(

o

An amazing treat that I too have on occasion experienced.
I think I will go out tomorrow and see if they will let me get real close.
Thanks for the inspiration!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here