Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pawpawmike

humming bird activity

pawpawmike
10 years ago

I've have 2 or 3 hummingbirds using 1 of my feeders. I was wondering if they are active while it's raining or when winds are hard?

Comments (7)

• gamma6
    10 years ago

I live in West Central FL. When could I expect to see hummingbirds here; in winter, or do any live in Fl year round? I have planted all kinds of bushes and flowers recommended by the FL agriculture extensions services but still no luck

• mboston_gw
    10 years ago

Totally depends on your location. I live in Lakeland and generally speaking, we get the most birds in the winter months from Dec to April, those are the ones that migrate and find a location and spend the winter. Fall migration starts in Aug with the adult male birds coming through first, then adult females, followed by the immature birds. Migrants coming through might spend a day to a week, then will move on either further south or across the Gulf. All that being said, there are pockets in many places where hummers stay all summer. I have two friends within a 3 mile radius of me who both have had the same birds all summer. I, on the other hand have seen a single bird on 4 different days over the last week and a half. Not sure if its the same one or not, but appears to be an immature male Ruby.

Don't give up- they are hard to find when nectaring and they don't usually use feeders at this time of the year here. Once you see your first one, be assured, there will be more.

• nanaboo
    10 years ago

I had a female RT hummer feed at kitchen window today. Hope to attract more.

• lexilu73
    10 years ago

I live in Virginia and still have them feed during rain and mild wind. When it pours rain they seem to wait until it lets up. Sometimes they will sit on the feeders I have attached to my windows which are under a porch during heavy rain. I have had more hummingbirds this year than ever before. Over 25 we estimate. I also had a Rufous visit for 2 days a couple of weeks ago. So exciting!!!

• nanaboo
    10 years ago

I am watching 3 hummers, one male, chasing each other this morning, in Baton Rouge, LA. I had many more last year, but am happy to watch 3 today. Hope to attract more!

• merri8
    10 years ago

I'm in northeast Ms.have been feeding hummers for several years.Usually I have 3-5 in the summer and about now will have a few more maybe 8.But about a week ago there were 12 or more swarming the feeder!I have never seen this many,I'm filling the feeder every day! Can anyone tell me are they last years clutch returning or just passing through on migration?Any way I'm Loving the show!

• ctnchpr
    10 years ago

They're probably migrators. I live a few miles NW of you, and have had migrators for about 10 days. These cool nights we're having will probably send 'em packin'.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions