Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yardenman

Hummers Having the August Crazies...

yardenman
16 years ago

Yep, same time every year. They get along for months then in August, they just all go into unending dogfights. Aerial battles everywhere. I have plenty of feeders (1 each hummer) and using double has no effect. They just seem to go crazy in August.

Plenty of nectar (mine and flowers), but they just won't let each other get at the feeders and flowers.

Are they preparing for the Fall migration by trying to starve each other to reduce competition?

Comments (18)

• meyankee
    16 years ago

Mine have been having aerial battles all season. I have seen other birds at the seed feeds duck as a battle when on over their heads.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Its just part of their nature, but even more so I think if you dont have very many. When the numbers pickup they will still have their battles but more hummers will slip in to feed. Spreading your feeders out in your yard may help and try to keep them full.

• yardenman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I have 4 feeders for 4 hummers spread out on 1/4 acre. But I mean that it seems to be something that happens in August every year and I'm trying to figure it out.

For several months, they all seem to get along and then, BAM, they just all seem to go crazy some August day! No one hummer will let another go to a feeder. Oh, I know they are feeding sometimes, but they just seem to go crazy every August.

I've tried putting out more feeders, but that doesn't stop the fighting.

And I have plenty of hummer plants around, too.

• christy2828
    16 years ago

I think I agree with you yardenman. Mine get along all season until around August, as well. They've been going at it all day!! Christy :)

• bdriver71
    16 years ago

Same thing here. Peaceful all summer, then in August they seem much more posessive and very active. Buzzing everywhere. Great aeriel displays. I actually blinked my eyes today when I hung up one of their fresh feeders. They all buzzed right up to me and one stared me in the eyes so close I had to blink. They are very excited right now. They know its almost time to leave Pa. My guess is the old guys are worried about fattening up. They've done this before.Very possevive of the feeders. The babies we had are chubbng up but are all over me, at the feeders. Know they have to leave but very anxious. Never did this before. Gonna miss them.

• birdsrwonderful
    16 years ago

Yardenman I think you are right they are pretty "wild" right now.

I have gone all summer with out any hummers (started putting feeders out in May) and then all of a sudden last week I saw one and since then the numbers have increased, sometimes 3-4 at one time,and it does seem one will "lie in wait" for others to show up and then chase them away. I am so glad to finally get some coming to my feeders. I thought it was never going to happen.

• lynxville
    16 years ago

My hummers fight all year

• backyardmama
    16 years ago

I have only had 2 or 3 hummers all summer until a couple of weeks ago when a ruby throat showed up. The residents were fairly tolerant until today. When the RT showed up, he could perch near the feeders in peace, but the resident male would have no part of this today. That was HIS perch, 'nuf said. This was our first experience with fierce aerial battles that lasted for quite awhile. We finally had to go inside for fear one was going to fly right into us. It is truly amazing. Have you noticed that the females don't seem to hang around very much when the males are duking it out. I sure am going to miss them.

• mtk40
    16 years ago

I was wondering what was going on. We are in the NC Sandhills and I have two feeders which are being drained by at least 7 hummers. At first I thought it was my imagination, (we are transplants from Kansas and used to a more sedate, predictable migratory pattern) but it's almost crazy to try to sit on our deck right now. Am considering buying a third feeder and placing it in the front yard to take pressure off the two on our deck.

• myoneandonly
    16 years ago

Last week early one morning, there were so many birds at my feeders (a tube with thistle, a tray with sunflower and other seeds, a hummer feeder) I couldn't count them fast enough. In particular three hummers were doing aerobatics. The other birds did seem to get out of their way. Two of the hummers were so aggressive with one another, I wanted to go out and break it up, but I was mesmerized.

• novice60
    16 years ago

Mine have gone crazy also. Didn't have many earlier but now plenty. Has anyone actually seen any get hurt? I think I hear them touching but not if they atually hit each other. They are so wild.

• buford
    16 years ago

We added another feeder because it was getting insane.

• yardenman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I've had hummers fly in front of me to check me out, but none have ever actually contacted me. Sometimes they show up behind me so close I duck because I think there is a hornet near my head.

I had one hummer approach a feeder I was carrying out while I was standing looking at some flowers. Sure wish I could have gotten a picture of that! Unfortunately, I jumped when I heard it (I have a "thing" about hornets).

• luvabird ,,,
    16 years ago

I went from 2 feeders last year to 8 feeders this year. Instead of that being enough for all, it just seemed to attract more Hummers (RTHUs).

We've had swarms since July (very entertaining in the evenings), and last weekend a lot of them seem to have left to migrate. Say hello to them for me, as they pass through the southernmost states.

We are seeing more females now, but I saw two adult males today.

Donna, VA

• roflol
    16 years ago

I appreciate the information on this thread. I was going to post a new one asking why manufacturers bother putting more than one feeder hole on a feeder because any male nearby won't let anybody else feed anyway.

We bought two feeders just last week, and put one up to see if we had any hummingbirds nearby (my folks have so many but they're 80 miles away). We saw a few feeding the very next day - it was so neat! Before a week was up, we decided to put the other feeder up because it seemed one male was chasing everybody away.

The first feeder is on the house and he'd perch in the pin oak tree 10 feet away. The second feeder is in a hawthorn tree probably 30 feet away. Didn't matter, he patrols them both now from the hawthorn tree. lol. I feel bad, I wonder if the energy he wastes is worth it.

Maybe I should put one feeder in the front yard and one in the back. Think that would help?

Terri :-)

• yodlei44
    16 years ago

I had 1 here & there last two summers on my red hibiscus...always thought adorable, but didn't try hard. Have been starting vege seeds for about 5 years & found this site late winter & all the great info & have enjoyed reading. I started & bought over $500 of hummer plants mentioned, HCG & a semi-local place here that had almost all other flowers mentioned. Had 3 regulars all summer & this last week, same as all of you...10+ all day, fighting, buzzing by, clacking together. 1 male ruled the feeder in front yard, all females on the back 3 feeders. In response to roflol..Found a tiny plastic tube feeder (1 port) just before Easter at Walmart & they like that better than any other. Can't find 'em anywhere now.(Been on here too long already looking for it & have my eye propped open with a toothpick) lol. Fav. plant has been Maraschino Bush Salvia from HCG. Black & Blue & Lady in Red close 2nd's. Haven't seen them touch Dropmore Scarlet Honeysuckle & Gartenmeister only once.

• hawkeye3007
    16 years ago

This is craziest thing I've ever seen!!! Males drive off the females and juveniles constantly...only twice have I seen two on the feeders at same time...and don't know how the females are going to fatten up for migration...it really isn't much fun just to see them chasing each other away, I'd rather see them feeding!!! Oh well, mother nature rules!!! Have a great Labor Day!!

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Guys, My hummers showed late this year , in May and three males had layed claim on my yard and saw many vicious battles only letting females feed and then all the courship dances went on so Ive 7-8 hummers during that period and then the younguns come along and I have between 10-15 every day then august hits and on some mornings as I sit out early Ive seen 20plus and yes some will come up to me eye to eye , not 10inches away but I dont budge and this happens every morning when Im out there. This is my best summer yet since Ive lived here, Ive steadily been building my hummer habitat and it has finally paid off, hate to see em go , but it will be soon.