Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Thing Chasing Hummingbirds

Posted by chescobob z6b SEPA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 23, 09 at 23:10

Do hummingbird moths or something else half the size of a RTH fly with hummers, chase them, and move like them? I'm in SE PA.

I have about 5 RTHs here. Then I have this little thing that acts like a hummer.

Yesterday, a hummer flew across the yard chasing a house finch and something about half the size of the hummer was chasing the hummer. This little fellow has been with the hummers in the back yard.

Today, two hummers passed through the yard chasing each other and the little fellow was right with them. In fact, the little fellow flew into the woods with the hummers. I cannot distinguish any difference in flight between the little fellow and the hummers.

Although I have watched the feeder for about 3 hours over the last couple of days, I did not see the little one feeding and I have not had a closeup view of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Thing Chasing Hummingbirds

chescobob,
The only things that size and that aggressive are the large 'Cicada killer' type hornets.

o
RE: Small Thing Chasing Hummingbirds

OMG, do they kill the hummers?

My hummer count is fluctuating again on the downside. About 4 males who all seem to get along and/or they are just feeding different times. Not sure.

This is the first year I've ever had cicaids. I've found three dead on the ground. I brought them inside to show my hubby and he says, "too bad they weren't alive they would make good fish bait." I gave him a good swat! C'mon.

But seriously do these creatures harm the hummers?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here