Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jay733

Worried about the hummers

jay733
13 years ago

I got some hummzinger minis, the regular ones. I notice that about one hummer visits one but after 3 days, I don't see any drop in nectar. This is why I only fill it up to the 2oz mark but I do see that when they go to sip it, that the nectar ripples, so I think they are drinking it.

Just to make sure, is this normal? I'm using a 3:1 ratio and one hummer visits it like every 15-20 minutes.

Comments (6)

• tima9209
    13 years ago

Some chirpers believe it's their mission in life to fill UP feeders, so clearly, you're experiencing a rare equilibrium between chirpers taking solution and putting it back. The filler-uppers are also the ones observed to migrate on the backs of geese. Only one per goose, though...

Or, perhaps they simply haven't imbibed enough to make a noticeable drop in the level? I know I find it harder to eyeball saucer feeder levels.

Or, perhaps rain is getting in?

• ctnchpr
    13 years ago

tima, did you forget your Haldol today?

• jay733
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry if the question doesn't seem like much of a question but just trying to do the best I can for the hummers, that I can do.

Last season I had a vacuum feeder with the same thing, about one hummer visiting it about the same time intervals, but I'd have to fill the thing up about every 3 days. The only difference is that the vacuum feeder tended to drip a lot.

The rain, I don't think plays a factor. This happens when it doesn't rain, but even when it does rain, I've noticed that the nectar solution doesn't increase, even if it rains hard. Someone I think said that you don't have to worry about rain with the hummzingers, I mean it has a hole and behind that hole is pretty much the nectar is right there, but I never notice and increase the solution.

Anyhow if anyone has any similar or if you guys think I should fill up the feeder higher, let me know.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

In the past, I NEVER noticed a drop in the level. I had 2 Perky Pet Oasis feeders (saucers). But then, I don't have alot of hummers like alot of people here. This year I began using a 3rd feeder, First Nature 16oz, and finally began noticing a drop in the solution. But, I had more constant activity for a change.

• hawkeye_wx
    13 years ago

If you get only one hummer visit to the feeder every 20 minutes, like me, the nectar level won't drop much at all. It takes a lot of drinking just to consume a couple ounces of nectar. I have a First Nature vacuum type bottle feeder this year and the nectar level in the bottle seems to naturally drop with time whether hummers are using it or not.

• busdriversam
    13 years ago

I have Anna's, I noticed that they quit coming to the feeder for about 2 weeks in June/July. Then they started coming back again. My Anna's live here at my house year round (I didn't know that they stayed here year round & was thinking I was losing my mind when I started seeing them in Nov/Dec/Jan) but I am planning to keep my feeder half way filled for them year round now. I think we have 3 bleeding pairs living in our hedge. So I can sit in the front room & watch them. It's pretty cool to do.