Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_fl

My lone hummer

marilyn_fl
15 years ago

I have a lone little hummer that flys in just about dawn goes to my firespike plant for about 30-60 sec. Flys off and doesn't return until the next morning. Is this normal behavior for hummers? I thought by putting up a feeder it might encourage it to come back more often durning the day. So far that's not happening. Will the feeder encourage other hummers to visit or will this little guy be my only visitor?

Comments (10)

• greenjean7bga
    15 years ago

I live in NW GA and still have two hummers this morning at my feeder and flowers. I bet you will see more at your feeder soon. Since you live in FL you could have them this winter also. I leave one feeder up year round.

Do you make your own sugar water or do you buy it? I make mine and have upped the sugar from 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup to every one cup of water. I believe they prefer the homemade.

I just read on another board that many up North still have them at their feeders so they are still heading our way.

Hang in there and happy Hummers to you!

Jean

• marilyn_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jean,

I am making my own sugar water. Since reading that the store type isn't suppose to be good for them. Right now I am using the 1/4 sugar to 1c water. I noticed this morning that my little hummer flew near the feeder but then went around it to my plant. My plants are in real sad shape from the storms we have had. The firespike has very few spikes, that is one reason I thought about getting a feeder. I was so sure this would work I ordered a humzinger feeder since they seem to have such good reviews for attracting hummers. Now not sure that will work. I think this is the same hummer from last year and it was my only one. Guess I should be glad to at least have one. Just wish it would stay longer than a minute.
    Marilyn

• greenjean7bga
    15 years ago

Hi Marilyn,

I remember the first feeder I hung out here I only had a couple of hummers. This was 6 yrs ago. The next year I moved it to a new location. I had a hummer fly to the old location looking for the feeder. This was how I learned that the same ones do return in spring from the year before. I have read on another board that for every one hummer you see there are four more around. I don't know if this is true but like the thought.:-)

Each year a few more hummers will inhabit my area and come to my feeders/flowers. This year has been the best yet! I guess it can take a while for hummers to find the feeders.

My flowers are looking a bit rough also but from a lack of rain. We are in a drought here and have watering restrictions. I have barely been able to give them enough water. Yet, they are blooming. I am sorry that you guys have had those storms. Let's hope that next year will be better for us both.

You still could have a visit from other hummers. They are still heading our way. Don't give up!

Happy Hummers to you!

Jean

• LaurelLily
    15 years ago

Sometimes having a lone hummer is a result of a hummer being very territorial. I had a few this year for a few days, but one finally succeeded in claiming the yard and chases all the rest away when they try to sneak back to sip from some of the flowers. The only one he allows is his mate (she showed up a few weeks after him; they spend most of the day taking turns perching on the shepherd's hook and guarding the feeder).

It's ridiculously cute to watch them (I'm so glad my feeder is right by the window!), and because of how they guard the feeder, I SEE quite a lot of them, so I'm happy. So it's not always bad to just have one--your one might turn into a family (I'm hoping mine have babies). :)

• marilyn_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Since putting my feeder up my lone little hummer seems to have stopped coming at all. Don't know if he's moved on or just doesn't like the feeder. Maybe when my plants start blooming again he will come back.

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

Hi Jean-
    I live all the way up in southern Delaware and until today I have had up to 2 migrating hummers daily.
    My locals all left by the end of the first week in September.
    For the first morning in weeks, I have none at the feeders today.
    In the summer I keep 7 feeders out and change them daily. That is a big job but I don't mind. It is so hot and humid here in July that I am afraid to leave feeders unchanged for more than 24 hours.
    With the nighttime temps now in the 40's and 50's I am leaving my four fall feeders out for two days at a time.
    One of the sad things for me has been to watch several young birds that could not figure out the feeders. But then we have plenty of flowers left. Butterfly bush- morning glory, Evening primrose and Althea. And the salvias are still in bloom.
    Vicki

• marilyn_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well my humzinger feeder came today so I went ahead and put it out. Maybe it will have better results in attracting some hummers.

• greenjean7bga
    15 years ago

Hi Vicki,
    It sounds like you have a hummingbird haven in southern Delaware! I am mystified by the hummers not being able to figure out your feeders. I am not an expert just a hummingbird lover and would love to learn the "why" from this. Maybe they are from an area where there were only flowers to provide food??? I am guessing here.:-)

Marilyn, I am sure that your new feeder will work. I went to this website and they said there are 10 different hummers that have been documented in FL during the winter. Here in GA 9. We need to keep these feeders up! I would love to see a hummer in the winter!

BTW, where do you live in FL?

lauralily, I have learned that TX is one good spot for hummers. Of course you are correct about the territorial behavior of hummers. Oh My you live in Houston! I hope that you and yours have not suffered greatly from the storm that hit you. My nephew is down there with his bobcat helping to clear everything up.

Jean

• marilyn_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jean,

I live on the east coast of FL. About 70 miles south of Kennedy Space Center.

Marilyn

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

I would think you will get even more hummers since more of the hummers north of you have moved south. My last hummer left on oct 18th. During the summer when I had my regulars it was mainly feeders, but during migration it eventually became all flowers. I would say for you keep the nectar fresh just in case you do get more hummers. Good luck.

Sponsored
More Discussions