Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help, Help

Posted by jacosgarden MS (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 8:22

We just rescued a hummingbird from a very large spider web. I am not sure how long it was in the web. It was struggling very hard. Once we got it free it wouldn't fly etc. We pulled all the webbing off his wings and I had hubby put it in a hanging basket and moved it closer to the ground. It is up high enough so that my cat won't get it (I hope). It is so little and I am worried it might have damaged it's wings. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help, Help

I don't know whether I'll be of any help since I've never attempted to rescue a hummer...quite often, birds are stunned or traumatized for a short time in some situations. I would think they expend alot of energy trying to free themselves and need a little rest, if no damage was sustained.

If your little hummer is still in the hanging basket, you might try putting a little homemade nectar in a small shallow cup. Gently remove the bird, and hold the cup in your hand, the hummer in the other, and see if it will feed. If there's no wing damage, etc,. hopefully it would regain it's strength, enabling it to fly on off!

Gee, I hope I've not misguided you and I sure hope the little one will be OK. Keep us posted.

Are you in MS and if so, where? I'm in Meridian.

Donna

o

Contact a rehabber. I've included the link below which contains a link to find a rehabber.

You might also post this on the bird watching forum. I know some rehabbers read posts there at least at times.

Here is a link that might be useful: emergency care for birds

o

Thanks Loris for this advice to jacosgarden...I didn't think of that. The info in the link you provided is something we all need to know!

Hope her little hummer made it!

Donna

o

Thanks for the wonderful info. Last I saw him/her this morning it was trying to fly. I think it just needed a rest. I live in Senatobia by the way.

o

You're very welcome jacosgarden and Donna. I'm so glad it sounds like the hummer is ok.

-- Lori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here