Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_peach93

What do Hummingbirds LOVE?

Georgia-Peach
9 years ago

Hi! I find in the Golden Isles they love the Bottle Brush Trees/Bush, Crown of Thorns, Red and Pink Mandevillas,Cannes" President",Pomegranate Tree/Bush in bloom and so many more! They frequently get trapped in my garage and exhaust themselves trying to exit which makes them very tired from buzzing around in circles. They willingly light in the palm of your hand, so tired from trying to find a way out,they literally are panting, and in a panic state. I have been so lucky to have held the Ruby Throated Hummingbird in my hand at least four times. I have always called out to my husband or one of my children to go get a feeder while holding it in my hand, then we stick his beak into the nectar feeder flower watch and wait til he gets a little taste of the nectar which it desperately needs, once it finds out what it is it relaxes somewhat takes a good ten minutes siesta while we ooooh and coooo over the beauty of this bird and all of a sudden you here the buzz and breeze as he flies away happy, healthy and free at last. I have taken many pictures if I can locate them I will post some. The Ruby is breathtakingly beautiful, they shimmer all over like no other as if they have 14kt gold running throughout their feathers, one has to see up close to really see their beauty what a treat. Best of Gardening to all!

Comments (4)

• User
    9 years ago

I know what you mean Georga-Peach. When I lived in TN I found one in my garage that was in a tapor,or whatever you call it. I picked it up and carried her into the house, gave her some of the sugar water from the feeder. She sat in my hand and drank until I was sure she would explode then fell asleep in my palm. No I didn't mind having her sleep in my hand while someone else cooked dinner, if they wanted to eat. She wouldn't leave my hand so for over an hour she would eat then rest before she flew to the fence and then back to me. This went on until dusk when she flew away but came back the next day and WOW she sat on my shoulder. What an experience that was. Now living in FL I do good to even get one to come to my feeder. They finally do in Sept. and a few stragglers in Oct. as they come thru on their migration. You are correct - to hold one and see it up close is such a treat and if one has a chance take it and let the rest of the world go on without you for that fleeting moment.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Georgia Peach, if you have those red-handled pulls on your electronic garage doors, it helps a lot to keep the hummingbirds from being lured into the garage if you paint them a different color or cover them up.

I've only recall one hummingbird persisting in the garage, and open doors and lure feeders didn't work. Eventually I was able to net the poor thing, but it was so sad to watch. And when two speeding chasers flew into my house one day, it was a bit too wild. We had vaulted ceilings, and the way they would frantically pummel it was alarming. Luckily, I was able to lure them out with a feeder at an open window that time.

But the idea that they will see the great outdoors and just zip back out hasn't held up in my experience. The truth is closer to they will attack the highest point of the ceiling until exhausted. Then they will perch, sometimes within 5-6' of the open slider or window to regain their strength. Renewed, the little bird-brained darlings will, more often than not, fly back up to the ceiling for another bout. So frustrating!

• ctnchpr
    9 years ago

They're attracted by the red pull handle on your garage door. Please paint it another color - the next one might not be so lucky.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

I had one fly in my shed one time. I was able to get it to drink from a small feeder I held up for it. It just wouldn't go back out the door so I closed it when it got dark. The next morning, right at dawn, I went and opened the door and he flew right out.

They seem to really like my butterfly bush and bee balm.