Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Plant for Hummers

Posted by lovefornature 5B IL (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 9:31

I purchased a Mona Lavendar from my Local Home Depot earlier this year and have been meaning to post about this plant.
It is an annual but, you can take the whole plant or just cuttings inside of your home for the winter and then repot back outside in the spring.
It is a beautiful plant and is still blooming profusely this fall in Zone 5B.
Don't have any pictures, but they are readily available on the web and I have seen many hummingbirds using it this year!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Plant for Hummers

I had no idea hummers were interested in this plant. Cool! Plectranthus is a fairly common houseplant that is actually a tender perennial. I'm glad to hear somebody's selling these in the annuals department also. Some of the best perennials can be found there for a lot less $$.

o

Mona Lavender is pretty easy to keep as a houseplant. I had one over a couple winters that did well and then I accidentally let it freeze outside. I haven't seen it again locally but would definitely buy it again when I do. I love the color of the flowers. I didn't know hummingbirds would use it though. That's good news.

o

Hey, I've now been able to see hummers visiting this plant also. I got one in April and by now have turned it into about 25-30 plants all around the yard. I've seen them enjoying it enough, repeatedly, to see it's not just investigation, there's some nectar in them.

They are similar/related to Coleus, so makes sense. Hummers do love Coleus flowers also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here