Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pallida_gw

Okie Hummer question

Pallida
12 years ago

I live in South Central Oklahoma in a rural area. I usually have about six hummers every year who appear in May and leave the end of September. Every now and then, I have a single "straggler" who stays behind. Such is the case this year, a small female or youth is still with me, all by itself. I'm worried about it, as we will start having frosts, more than likely (who knows THIS year) in about a month. I leave a feeder out through October to catch the migrators, and now am wondering if I should hang some sort of birdhouse for this little lady. Is there a possibility of survival this far North, and is there such a thing as a hummer birdhouse? I'm sure that the sugar water would freeze, unless I could, somehow, keep it warm. I KNOW, it is just one little hummingbird, but she seems so abandoned out there, by herself!

Jeanie

Comments (13)

• ctnchpr
    12 years ago

Jeanie, Don't worry too much about your little hummer, it still has lots of time to migrate. I don't think it will use any kind of a house. Just keep the nectar fresh, that's about all you can do.

• Pallida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, ctnchpr!
    I guess her natural instincts will kick in sooner or later..........

Jeanie

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Jeanie

You could still get more hummers as I am still having 4-5 daily at my central indy location.

• Pallida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hummersteve,
    Hope so. I really miss their cheerful little "chipping" songs and flitting around me, as I sit on the deck with my coffee cup in hand. Migrators may stop by. Maybe my little "loner" will follow them South.

Jeanie

• julysun
    12 years ago

Jeanie, a cool front just blew through here, Houston, and blew away a dozen hummers hanging out in my yard. Maybe she is waiting for a tail wind. ;-)) Keep us posted

• Pallida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Julysun,
    Haven't seen my little "loner" all day. Hopefully, she has followed the rest of the flock South. We are having cool mornings (40's to 50's), so maybe that encouraged her to move on.

Jeanie

• julysun
    12 years ago

Jeanie,
    I read that Hummers remember nectar locations from year to year. Maybe she will drop by to see you in the spring!

• Pallida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I always look forward to their appearing in the Spring. Don't know if it is the same ones, or not, but they are always welcome. I would like to think that they consider this one of their "summer vacation" locations. HA.

Jeanie

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

The only way I know to tell if a bird returns the next year is to move a feeder. When I enclosed an 8X40 porch, I put all my feeders out back. For 2 or 3 years while I was at that location, birds would go to those old feeder locations and just hover and look around (nothing there).

• Pallida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pauldavid,
    That is very interesting! I have three different locations in my front yard, and sometimes rotate the feeders to avoid ants and night raiding by raccoons. I noticed the HB confusion when I would change the feeders around, even though the locations are within feet of each other. Of course, these are birds who are already on my property. It only takes them a few seconds to find where I've moved the feeders. I think I have the ant problem whipped. I simply spray the hangers with cooking spray such as Pam. Raccoons are so rascally! They are into constant mischief!...........

Jeanie

• PaulDavid63
    12 years ago

I have my feeders all within 30 inches of each other in a row (about 16 feeders) and I noticed once when I removed all but a few feeders for a pic, the birds still came to the locations where no feeders were hanging. Try putting a feeder in an out-of-the-way place next year and see if any birds try that location the next year when it has been taken down.

• Pallida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pauldavid,
    WOW! Sixteen feeders. You must have a LOT of Hummers. Thanks for the tip. I will have to try that next season. In the mountains in Eastern Okla., the Wilhemina Inn hangs feeders on it's patio, so that you can watch the Hummers while you eat. Such fun! A friend's husband had a. Hummer drink out of his coffee cup while sitting on the porch. I am sure it was loaded with sugar..........

Jeanie

• Pallida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I'm pretty sure my little straggler Hummer has joined it's brothers and sisters down South. Haven't seen any Hummers in days. Now, just to get through the Winter without their cheerful "chipping", the butterflies and rather a dreary landscape. We don't have the "Currier & Ives" snow scenes that you have up North!

Jeanie

Sponsored
More Discussions