Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
humming birds

Posted by mary_grether 7/8 (mary_grether@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 9:46

I would like to know a few things about those lovely little creatures, when do we stop putting the nector out?

then when do we put it back out. Is there any special way to attract them? I just got about 4 this year, will they come back? will more come, or follow them?

I just want them to keep coming back!
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: humming birds

Hi Mary, Where do you live? I live in NW GA zone 7b. I keep a feeder out year round. I replied this on another post: 2 years ago I had a friend that had a Black Chin show up in Nov and an Allen's in Jan. Both stayed for 2 more weeks in Jan. My friend only lives a few miles from me. I didn't see these hummer's last year, yet will hope I will experience them this year.

There is a website that tells you what hummers have been spoted in your state. I don't have it at my fingertips at this moment. Should you be interested in it, post here and I will post it back.

Happy Hummers!

Jean

o

Mary, Here is the Hummingbird migration map...

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Map

o

Mary

Like Jean, I too live in Georgia. It's good idea to leave a feeder out during the winter in our area. I saw a male Rufous yesterday at our local Lowe's in the outside garden center, of course. The Lowe's is just a mile up the road and I hope he finds its way to my feeders:)There was a gentlemen there, I'd guess to be in his 80's, that said it was the first "brown hummingbird" he'd ever seen.They seem to be more common in our area the past few years. Hopefully he'll stick around for the winter.

Happy birding!
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here