Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenn3d

End of season - PICS

kenn3d
16 years ago

Well our hummers are leaving for the season now it seems. We have but 2 left, and I wanted to catch a few more shots of them before they're all gone.

{{gwi:999199}}
{{gwi:999200}}
{{gwi:999201}}

And one taken from a greater distance with a TC lens:

{{gwi:999202}}

We'll be trying to get some more longer shots before these last little ones go on their way.

Kenn :]

Comments (11)

• Aleahh
    16 years ago

Wow now those a fat Hummers! lol We still have 2 here.. one is
    so tiny, dont know if male or female but it has ruled the
    roost! It is fattening up tho. Was 43 last night and I still saw it here this AM. No idea how long it will stay.. I keep
    fresh food out she it feeds often. The most we have had since
    discovering them late summer is 5. Why didnt I know about
    these beautiful creatures long ago? You sure took some nice
    pics there.. thanks for sharing. :)

• kenn3d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, a week later now and they are still here. :)

I actually spotted a 3rd one just during one day, but we still have the two chasing each other from one feeder or flower bed to the next in futile efforts to keep all the nectar from each other... lol.

And yes alli, they sure are getting pudgy:
    {{gwi:999203}}

I hope they'll stay just a bit longer gathering enuf strength for their journey.

Kenn

• dominidan
    16 years ago

kenn3d, there great shots. My female flew the feeder about four days ago but my neighbor told me he saw one yesterday, in my yard. I got up early this morning to see if I could spot it and it's raining. Doesn't seem like hummers like to feed in the rain.
    I have a question. I live in an apartment complex which allows dogs. I don't think I've ever seen a hummer when a dog is out, prancing around. Do hummers dislike dogs?

• Aleahh
    16 years ago

I wonderd if they feed when it rains. I sat out under the
    during our last rain,.. sure enough they came.. guess when their hungry they have to eat :)

• kenn3d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dominidan,

I'm no expert, and we don't have a dog... but there are dogs in every adjacent neighbor's yard and our hummers don't seem to pay them any attention at all. If anything, I've noticed that hummingbirds generally don't fear any creature great or small, and go about their business with great authority.

Kenn

• dominidan
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. This site is great. The female hummer that I had didn't look so plump before she left. Maybe she just found better flowers near a feeder. I could scope out the neighborhood and confiscate those feeders?!

• bdriver71
    16 years ago

Great pics. Chubby for sure. I haven't seen a hummer for 2 days now. I have 3 big dogs and the hummers fly higher when they first charge out but then go back to business. Last year my girl dog was laying in the grass, when a hummer flew down right in front of her face. They did eye to eye for at least 15 secs, then he zipped out as quickly as he zipped in. Mesmerizing moment for all 3 of us.

• dominidan
    16 years ago

bdriver71, that's great. I don't have to confiscate the neighbors' dogs now, too, but I still don't see any hummers. I went and planted a "wine and roses" in the back yard today, to see if that helps for next year. Does anyone have one of those and how much do the hummers like it?

• sharondw
    16 years ago

What awesome pics you guys. What camera & lenses are you using?

Anyway.....I have a Lab & a Shepard & at first my hummers were a bit skittish when they were out but now they have become use to them on the deck, right below the feeder. They have even flown down by them now & again when they were just laying there. I think the red colors drew their attention :) They may also feel safer from the da** cats next door that would lurk close by. (I have extended the safe zone for my dogs on their wirless collars, so the cats cant get to the deck area)

As for the rain I have seen my hummers at my feeders during light rain but they have a new buffet. I had an old unbrella that I anchored above a feeder in the tree. It took awhile but the hummers finally came to it. It was rather funny to see them there. Now I even have some other small birds that will lite there while contemplating the next move.

• kenn3d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi sharondw,

All the photos above were taken with a Canon S3-IS. The last 2 at a much greater distance with an add-on Sony DH1758 teleconverter lens.

Glad you liked them,

Kenn

• kenn3d
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, no more hummers... sigh. It seems the last few moved on before sunrise this morning : [

One last picture until next year:
    {{gwi:999204}}

And speaking of moving on...
    We are in the process of moving our gallery page to a new address (new url link below). In a few days most of the images we've posted inline within our Gardenweb forum posts will (dis)appear as broken links for those of you who don't have them cached in your browser. My apologies in advance, and please do visit our birds at the new site.

thanks,

Kenn

Here is a link that might be useful: New Gallery Site

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County
More Discussions