Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaboone

A wonderful week of hummers

nanaboo
14 years ago

Sorry, if this is a repeat. I posted this on Sept. 9th, but I do not see it . . .

Wow, I have seen many more hummers this week. What fun! I have a window feeder in kitchen, and I was washing another feeder. A hummer was feeding outside,and was going crazy. She was buzzing around the outside feeder, and darting near the window, looking in? I had the feeder inside in her full view,and it appeared she was trying to get to it - what do you think? Later, I went outside,near the same window feeder, and held up a mini feeder in my outstretched hand. I stood still, like a statue, and she buzzed all around,behind my head, neaqr the mini feeder, back to ther window feeder, but just would not stop and feed from my hand. I have seen some of your videos/pictures of hummers feeding from your hand. How do you do this? I was so excited, then my husband spotted me standing there, and asked me if I realized how silly I looked! I laughed and told him he just does not understand the fascination and love of hummers. I will try again, and maybe my husband can snap a picture. I am really enjoying having more than one or two hummers, and I will enjoy them for another month, I think. Hummers, welcome to Baton Rouge!

Comments (31)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Hi nanaboo

Enjoy those hummers, some people just dont get it, the why of our love for these tiny critters. Your love for them comes thru this text and it will rub off on granddaughter also and may eventually get to your husband if it has not already. Hummers are getting extremely thin here as Im only seeing a couple daily now. During july and august I had more than my share and felt blessed by it. It does seem as if the migration is early this year though, by that I mean how few Im having now. But as I type this IM watching one at my back slider and one in front on a sheperds hook. That is the way it is going here now, not enough at one time to be fighting with each other but I am happy that my feeders help them along their way south. OH this is such a bitter-sweet time knowing they will soon be gone completely from here, so enjoy them while you have them.

Steve

• deedee1028
    14 years ago

Hi Nanaboo, I have had the thrill of hummers eating while I sit holding their feeder. I sit and hold it in my hand, it usually takes a while but then they'll come...I have better luck with the females feeding. One came up the other day while my husband and I were sitting on our patio and she landed and drank then she'd look at me and twirp and then drink again....she repeated this several times for a minute or so and then flew off, my husband said that it was awesome...my kids call me the hummingbird whisperer :). It just takes a lot of time and patience, just do it everyday and I'm sure it'll happen. Good Luck!!!!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, deedee. Sitting down, holding a feeder, makes better sense. I do have patience, so I will try that. Hee - hee, maybe I will not look as silly, as "the statue!"

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Nana, they look inside here to. I love that! Makes me want to open the window/sliding door and let them in. I know better of course. You're seeing the travelers on their way back to winter in central America and Mexico.

I get three or four moving through, then only one here, like today. All Ruby Throated. Four fresh feeders and lots of blooms catch their attention on their way south. It's a small haven for them for a day or two.

Dede, hummer whisperer is a perfect name for you. I envy you, wish I could to that.

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

I have a lot now, too. I bought a ton of new hummer plants, and it seems my resident couple (Anna's, who I think are nesting??) has given up fighting off the others and is now sharing the bounty. :)

The female has no fear of me. She often gets right in my face to say hello. I can stand right next to her favorite flowers, and she will still get nectar, inches away from me. My hyperactive 4 year old son will even stand completely still in order to be a "hummer whisperer" as well. ;)

Their flower preference seems to be changing though (e.g. to mostly salvias), and it seems the female goes for different flowers than the male. Maybe they have an agreement? "Look, hun, I only want salvia juice, so you go ahead and sip from those crazy weird foreign plants". LOL

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Rob. I did not know these are the travelers coming thru . . . the more, the merrier! Raining today, and they are stopping to sip. I will sit on my back porch rocker all day watching. I did spot one male (red gorget)? I guess the rest are female, no red throat? I notice they have white tip tail feathers . . . just learning.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I had a bit of a shock Thursday and Friday to find a Juvie at the feeders. She was tiny, barely big enough to reach the feeder ports when she perched. She didn't even fly very well and was a little unsteady perched. It seems a little late in the season to have new born hummers. I thought all my regulars had left. But I hope her Mom is still around to feed her. Today I have three RT females and one BC female, all hungry for the Honeysuckle and Autum Sage blooms. A little cautious at the feeders.

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My best day yet! Lots of activity today. All the activity was in the back yard feeder, hanging in crepe myrtle tree. I did not notice any hummers feeding from window feeder, in front of house today. I was amazed when I checked at 8 AM. I counted up to 10 - 12 hummers buzzing around, chasing each other. I noticed one male, all others females. They were busy ALL DAY! As many as 4 feeding together,wow! They drained the feeder, I filled it, and tonight it was almost empty. I tried holding the feeder in my hand, but only one female came to feed. Still, that was a thrill, to examine her so closely. I used my binoculars to watch,and was able to snap some digital pictures, nothing like the quality I have seen on this forum. I e-mailed some of the pictures to my 6 grandchildren,and they were thrilled. I am really "hooked" now and will enjoy the rest of the season here.

• sowngrow (8a)
    14 years ago

I had at least 7 hummingbirds buzzing around my feeder today so I put up another one!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I only had 4 hummers today. BUT, I held a feeder in my hand and a female came to sip. I was very excited and had time to really examine her . . . . when she turned her head, I noticed a small red spot (feather ?) on the side of her neck. What do you think? Could this be a male? I don't know how to identify "juveniles."
    Thanks for your info.
    Nanaboo

• deedee1028
    14 years ago

Nanaboo- I'm so glad you were able to finally feed a hummer there truly isn't anything as exciting. I did notice a couple of days ago that red dot on what I think is a female's side of her neck....its not very big and you can't see it unless your as close as we've been by feeding them, but this is only my second year feeding Hummingbirds so as far as knowing if these are females or young juvie males I'm not for sure. If you find out from someone let me know, good luck!!!!

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

nana & deedee, It was a juvie male like this one...

Here is a link that might be useful: video

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you ctnchpr! Thank Goodness for our "long timers" watching hummers-- you can answer all our newcomer questions. I can't wait to show your video to my grandchildren . . . they receive a daily hummer report from their Nana.

Nanabnoo

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still have 3 or 4 hummers feeding, mostly in the morning,and late evening. For some reason, they prefer the window feeder (yea) over the feeder hanging in tree nearby. I love watching them up close from inside,and I do notice the small red dot on their necks. They are getting fatter,and I guess they will be leaving soon.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

This past week has probably been the best hummer week in my yard since the peak a month ago. My dominant juvie male continues to guard "his" yard. A second hummer, a female, has been drinking from the feeder as well, so the sentry hummer must be allowing it. A third hummer just arrived and tries to use the feeder, but the sentry refuses to allow it. All three have been buzzing across my yard all day, with the sentry doing most of the chasing. I was leaning over the salvia pot once when one of the hummers buzzed between my face and the salvia, just about brushing my nose. It scared the crap out of me. :)

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I went out of town for a few days,and I was afraid all my hummers would be gone. Not so! Some are still feeding from my 4 feeders (2 mini). I counted 6 going from feeder to feeder, chasing each other today. I guess all these are travelers .... I don't understand how some people can tell the difference between the travelers and their residents. Also,I would LOVE to see a hummer sleeping! I am also reporting my hummer sightings on a migration website. I think I am spending too much time with this passion, yet I will be sad when the last humnmer leaves.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

I am still have hummingbirds coming through headed down the the coastal area. I have not missed having some each day. I know that is goinng to dwindle down now as October is approaching. Second week in October was the last I saw of them in 2008.

• natal
    14 years ago

Nana, I came over here to do a search and saw your thread right off the bat. I have some great news for you! There's a good possibility that if you leave your feeders up you'll get some of the winter migrant hummingbirds that come from the west & northwest and spend the winter here. I'm in BR near LSU. We've been hosting winter hummers for about 8 years now. We've had Rufous (the most common), Buff-bellied, Calliope, and Broad-tailed. So don't be in any hurry to take those feeders down.

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had a feeding frenzy today! Buzzing from one feeder to the window feeder, probably 4 feeding at one time,first for me. I was wearing my red t-shirt, held one feeder in my hand, and a female finally sipped. What a joy, she is now my favorite. I hope she stays for a few days. Others buzzed around, but would not sip. I noticed one adult male, and a juvie. They are all getting big tummies. It is nice to watch them from inside up-close feeding from the window feeder. I tell you, some just hover by the window and look at me (I usually have my camera ready).

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Natal, Thank you. I am in CCL, and have seen more hummers this year. I may leave my feeders up longer. I am still having 4 or 5 hummers feeding from two feeders. They are chasing each other early morning and late evening. Today, I noticed one hummer feeding from my mini feeder. Only females today. Thanks for your tip.
    Nana

• natal
    14 years ago

Nana, I'm going to send you an email. I know someone who bands the winter visitors. She's been to my yard a number of times and I'm pretty sure she does the same at a home in the CCL.

• prairie_love
    14 years ago

Super cool video! I can't believe you kept it in focus for so long, good job. And I love his little flashes of red throat.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Nana, have you and Natal have got all the hummers penned up over there in LA? Maybe you share a couple for Texas? LOl
    Natal, keep us posted on your winter hummes. I'm hoping for some here to.
    Rob

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Natal, thank you. I would love to know the name of the hummer lover in CCL. I am leaving for Houston, TX in the morning, and I will be gone for a week. Hope to see hummers there! I am begging my husband to keep my feeders clean and full. I was not awake early this morning, but I have not seen a hummer yet today.

• jmc7104
    14 years ago

I still have Hummers feeding here daily, mostly migrators.
    jim

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

I've still got plenty of Anna's. No feeders, just lots of hummer plants. A male just buzzed me so close to my face that I screamed! The iridescent red head was blinding. I told my husband to wear safety goggles out there, LOL.

• kerengga1
    14 years ago

I like to put my feeders under the tree. Coz i have my own rest chair there,so i can watch my hummers in my rest.

Here is a link that might be useful: homemade hummingbird nectar

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had one hummingbird today, feeding from two feeders, and another one feedng from a mini feeder. I noticed them feeding several times today. This morning at 8 am, again about 12:30, 4:00 pm, and at 7:00 pm. I am keeping the feeders cleaned and nectar fresh.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Each year seems different especially for us in the northern half. Last year at this time I still had hummers, but this year I havent had a hummer for 9days now. I still have two feeders out though for any stragglers that might pass thru. But I cannot complain as I seem to accumulate more hummers each year, seems to be a breeding area here and I just happen to have a lot of the plants they like besides my feeders.

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did not see a hummer the last 2 days, so I thought this was it for me. Well, a hummer stopped to feed at 6:30 pm tonight, feeding for a full minute, then came back a few minutes later for a few seconds. She fed at my window feeder, and was plump. Her wings were fluttering the whole time she was feeding. Does this indicate she was in a hurry to travel on? I saw my last hummer last year on Oct. 19th. I must report that my husband and I are moving to another location in a couple of weeks. We will remain in Baton Rouge, and I am so concerned that I will not have hummers next year. I wish I could send my regulars a change of address!

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I saw my last hummer Oct. 23rd. I am moving tomorrow, so will take down my feeders,clean them and store them until next year. I will have my computer down for several days, so will miss reading your updates, which I check every morning! I have learned so much this year from each of you, and appreciate your tips and information. I will certainly use your plant tips next Spring.
    Thanks. Nanaboo

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions