Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaboone

When will you take your feeders down?

nanaboo
13 years ago

I usually take my feeders down in October,but our local newspaper had a front page nice picture of Ruby-throated hummingbirds buzzing around a feeder,and information about a local group tagging hummingbirds. Mr. Patton, from Louisiana, is licensed by the Departmenht of the Interior, to band hummingbirds. He reported that Rufous and 10 other species arrive in Louisiana in November. So, yea, I plan on keeping my hummers fresh with nectar thru November. I would love to see another species. I have only observed Ruby Throats. It would such a thrill to have visitors thru November!

Comments (15)

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

In previous years I have kept my feeder/feeders up till thanksgiving but have never seen a late migrant. But I will keep at least one feeder till Nov.

• hawkeye_wx
    13 years ago

Mine will stay up until at least Halloween. You never know when you might get a very late straggler or even a lucky visit from a western hummer.

• ltcollins1949
    13 years ago

Over here on the Texas Gulf Coast, I usually take mine down around mid-November because I always have my hummer plants for them to use. However, if we get some really bad weather, I'll kep them up longer. When it snowed Christmas 2004 (first recorded snow ever in Rockport on Christmas), I had 4 hummers that stayed. Two BB, one male Rufus and one female RT, so I kept the feeders up the rest of the winter because the snow killed the hummer plants that they usually use.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Linda

Pretty much the same here. I have lots of flowers but if we get too many frosts I may be tempted to keep one feeder up longer than anticipated.

• bdriver71
    13 years ago

I always leave 1 feeder up till it starts freezing. Usually around Thanksgiving here. Saw 4 hummers here today and I wasn't home much. This is the latest in 6 years I have seen them. Keep those feeders up. More are on the way!

• natal
    13 years ago

So, yea, I plan on keeping my hummers fresh with nectar thru November. I would love to see another species. I have only observed Ruby Throats. It would such a thrill to have visitors thru November!

Nana, I think I mentioned earlier this year that here in Baton Rouge you can leave your feeders up year round. I live near LSU and we've been hosting winter hummers for the past 10 years. The winter birds are arriving now. I saw the first adult male Rufous at one of the feeders the other day. They stick around until February ... about the same time the Ruby-throateds return.

• natal
    13 years ago

Nana, these pics were taken in my yard last winter. Most are Rufous, but the snow pic is a Buff-bellied. You have to sort of squint to see it, but he's there. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: winter hummers in Baton Rouge

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

I generally keep them up until late November as well, just in case a late migrator buzzes by. I've never seen one past mid-September though, which doesn't mean much ;)

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

Natal, what is that white band on that Best 1 feeder, right where the bottle meets the base?

Amazing that the hummer is there in the snow!

• natal
    13 years ago

That's a piece of PVC pipe to prevent bees from gathering at the bottle opening.

• natal
    13 years ago

It's very unusual for us to get snow down here.

• nanaboo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal,

Thank you for the winter pictures of your hummers, very nice. I am keeping my feeders fresh, hoping to see more travelers. 2 ruby-throats feeding today.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Natal

Is the 4th pic of 5 a buff-bellied with the blue cap and pointed tail?

The only bird I have ever seen is the rubythroat.

• natal
    13 years ago

Steve, the bird in the 4th pic is a Rufous. He's sporting a blue paint dot on his crown, which means he was recently banded somewhere nearby.

These pics of an adult Buff-bellied are from a January '05 banding session in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buff-bellied

• salliestarr
    13 years ago

Here in southwest VA a hummingbird has been feeding today, Sept 30th. Yesterday was active too. I am excited since there hadn't been any sightings for days. I wonder what the latest sighting for a hummer is for southwest VA....anyone know? Thanks....Sallie

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions