Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When will you take your feeders down?

Posted by nanaboo z8BRLA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 28, 10 at 11:14

I usually take my feeders down in October,but our local newspaper had a front page nice picture of Ruby-throated hummingbirds buzzing around a feeder,and information about a local group tagging hummingbirds. Mr. Patton, from Louisiana, is licensed by the Departmenht of the Interior, to band hummingbirds. He reported that Rufous and 10 other species arrive in Louisiana in November. So, yea, I plan on keeping my hummers fresh with nectar thru November. I would love to see another species. I have only observed Ruby Throats. It would such a thrill to have visitors thru November!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When will you take your feeders down?

In previous years I have kept my feeder/feeders up till thanksgiving but have never seen a late migrant. But I will keep at least one feeder till Nov.

o

Mine will stay up until at least Halloween. You never know when you might get a very late straggler or even a lucky visit from a western hummer.

o

Over here on the Texas Gulf Coast, I usually take mine down around mid-November because I always have my hummer plants for them to use. However, if we get some really bad weather, I'll kep them up longer. When it snowed Christmas 2004 (first recorded snow ever in Rockport on Christmas), I had 4 hummers that stayed. Two BB, one male Rufus and one female RT, so I kept the feeders up the rest of the winter because the snow killed the hummer plants that they usually use.

o

Linda

Pretty much the same here. I have lots of flowers but if we get too many frosts I may be tempted to keep one feeder up longer than anticipated.

o

I always leave 1 feeder up till it starts freezing. Usually around Thanksgiving here. Saw 4 hummers here today and I wasn't home much. This is the latest in 6 years I have seen them. Keep those feeders up. More are on the way!

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 12:01

So, yea, I plan on keeping my hummers fresh with nectar thru November. I would love to see another species. I have only observed Ruby Throats. It would such a thrill to have visitors thru November!

Nana, I think I mentioned earlier this year that here in Baton Rouge you can leave your feeders up year round. I live near LSU and we've been hosting winter hummers for the past 10 years. The winter birds are arriving now. I saw the first adult male Rufous at one of the feeders the other day. They stick around until February ... about the same time the Ruby-throateds return.

o
winter hummers

Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 12:07

Nana, these pics were taken in my yard last winter. Most are Rufous, but the snow pic is a Buff-bellied. You have to sort of squint to see it, but he's there. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: winter hummers in Baton Rouge

o

I generally keep them up until late November as well, just in case a late migrator buzzes by. I've never seen one past mid-September though, which doesn't mean much ;)

o

Natal, what is that white band on that Best 1 feeder, right where the bottle meets the base?

Amazing that the hummer is there in the snow!

o

Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 19:03

That's a piece of PVC pipe to prevent bees from gathering at the bottle opening.

o
about the snow...

Wed, Sep 29, 10 at 19:04

It's very unusual for us to get snow down here.

o

Natal,

Thank you for the winter pictures of your hummers, very nice. I am keeping my feeders fresh, hoping to see more travelers. 2 ruby-throats feeding today.

o

Natal

Is the 4th pic of 5 a buff-bellied with the blue cap and pointed tail?

The only bird I have ever seen is the rubythroat.

o

Thu, Sep 30, 10 at 12:59

Steve, the bird in the 4th pic is a Rufous. He's sporting a blue paint dot on his crown, which means he was recently banded somewhere nearby.

These pics of an adult Buff-bellied are from a January '05 banding session in my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buff-bellied

o

Here in southwest VA a hummingbird has been feeding today, Sept 30th. Yesterday was active too. I am excited since there hadn't been any sightings for days. I wonder what the latest sighting for a hummer is for southwest VA....anyone know? Thanks....Sallie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here