Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

15 Feeders, Hummers, and a Nuthatch

ctnchpr
11 years ago

Here's a video of activity around my feeders. This goes on all day, dawn to dusk. At dusk, there's a cloud of hummers surrounding the feeders. My wife says there has to be at least 200, I say it's more like 100, the true number is probably somewhere in between our guesstimations. They're using 2 gallons of 3:1 mix each day.

The noise in the background is a friendly and comical Nuthatch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

Comments (15)

• valynntine
    11 years ago

That is AWESOME!

• debrgarden
    11 years ago

That is absolutely amazing..I thought I had a lot of hummers...I have 6 feeders that I fill every other day throughout the summer months. When I tell people how many I have...probably in the range of 40, they don't believe me. Your video is incredible! Thanks for sharing....BTW...you mentioned that your nectar is 3 to 1, mine has always been 4 to 1. I wonder if I need to change that?

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, folks!!

debr, The 3:1 mix in the Fall helps them add body fat for migration, without having to eliminate all that extra water. I use the 4:1 mix in the Summer.

• nanaboo
    11 years ago

74 degrees and raining in Baton Rouge this morning. I was so excited when I woke up, thinking I would see a swarm of hummers feeding (5 feeders.) Not a one, then I remembered I purchased a new window feeder yesterday. I filled it and attached it to kitchen window, and imnmediately 2 hummers came to feed. I took some pictures, not very clear, but discovered one was a RT male, still hanging around. I think my hummers are picky feeders!

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

ctnchpr

Awesome video great clarity , great numbers too. I had been having good numbers up untill a couple of days ago. This morning I only had 5-6 at best the least Ive had since they first arrived. Locally they are calling for mid-30s in the morn. not sure what that will do to the hummers. Btw Im also feeding 1:3 feeder mix.

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

This is more typical of the kind of action I was having up untill just recently. Seems the bulk of the migration is by my location.

• terrene
    11 years ago

Great video Ctnpthr! The video quality is nice - what camera do you use?

Hummersteve, I like your red, white and blue flowers.

• nanaboo
    11 years ago

Hummersteve, I like your two-tier feeder. I have not seen that one before. Nice picture of your flowers and hummers!

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

nanaboo

Thanks it is a first nature feeder that was originally a triple decker which has been changed to this.

I dont know what happened with my photo from above so I will try it again and see if it sticks.

Well Its not working ,, image shows for a milli second then vanishes. Anyone know what the problem might be? Ive never had this problem before.

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

It appeared my garden web link was no longer working properly so I got a new link which seems to now be working right and I can see my image.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Steve and terrene!!

terrene, I have a Canon S5, a good "point & shoot" type camera.

Steve, It got down to 43 here Tue night, Wed morning, there were only about 10-15 left.

Here is another video taken late in the day on Sunday, closer to dusk. It's a little grainy, but I believe there are more hummers in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The first hummer of the year showed up this morning. Spring has been late, but he still arrived in the normal Apr 1-10 range. I live in Western Tennessee, midway between Memphis and Nashville.

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

ctnchpr

Im a little disappointed that your first arrived so late in your time period. I have heard others say they are late this year. Anyway I have noticed the last two or three years my first hummer arrives 20-21 days from the time your first does. That puts me at the end of april which is late from the last couple of yrs. Oh well time will tell.

• bluebirdbabe
    11 years ago

I am so jealous!! I only get 3-4 hummers, maybe 5 and all they do is fight and no one gets anything to eat. What do I have to do to get the numbers you guys have?? That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Karen

• hummersteve
    11 years ago

Karen

Its takes some time and then location could play a part.. But increasing your hummer habitat should help ,, more feeders possibly spaced on opposite sides of the house where there might be less fighting. Then of course some good hummer plants will attract a bigger crowd too. As for the type of plants that work best for hummers is up for debate and that is best left for another thread.