Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vuwugarden

How long to keep feeder out...

vuwugarden
14 years ago

How long should I keep my feeders out, end of October?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I'm trying to read as many past posts as possible to gain knowledge of the hummer world.

Thanks for your replies!

Comments (9)

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I'm in San Antonio, and I keep my feeders out for at least two weeks after I see the last hummer. Usually through October.
    My regular hummers have been gone a while, but I am getting a few migrants on their way south. Today a female that has been here for a couple of days. She seems ravenous for the blooms and will spend several minutes working on them before going to a feeder. With our hot weather ending and some rain finally, everything I have has exploded into bloom.

• vuwugarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Rob, for your reply. You and everyone else here are so helpful!

After reading about the need for clean feeders, I immediately cleaned and replaced the nectar in my feeder that were sitting there in full sun all TEXAS summer! I was ashamed and felt so guilty that I was harming the poor little ones.

Thanks again for all your help. More questions to come, I'm sure.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I would suggest you clean and refill your feeders at least twice a week at this time of year. More often in summer. And yes you ran the risk of harming them, but they probably found fresher souces of food elsewhere.

Ask all the questions you want. You'll get plenty of good advise here from forum members that have much more experience than I have. I'll help you if I can.
    Rob

• mimidi
    14 years ago

I keep a couple of feeders out all year round. I keep thinking I might get a winter vistor from the west. I live in southeast Alabama and I do know there are Rufous hummingbirds all along the coast during the winter. There have even been sightings of Rubys in my area. They have been caught and banded.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Mimi, with a global climate change going on maybe us in the south will get to see some of the varieties we dont usually get.

Are you close to the coast?
    Rob

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Even up here where I live I will keep at least 1 feeder out till about a month after my last visitor, just in case a straggler comes thru and needs to refill.

• vickilovesboxers
    14 years ago

If I were in Texas like you are--I would probably leave a feeder up for the winter. As Mimi has stated you could see a western Hummer like the Rufous.
    It is not much trouble(to my thinking)to keep one feeder up and cleaned and filled for the winter.

Vicki--In Delaware

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Rob I live in the very southest corner of Alabama. Just a hop, skip, and a jump from both the Georiga and Florida state lines. About 96 miles from the coast.(Ft. Walton, Destin, Panama City Beach)

• penny1947
    14 years ago

If I were in Texas, I would also leave at least one or possibly 2 feeders up year round also. I zam in NY and I leave a feeder or two up until the temps go below 32. There are still a lot of migrants coming down from the north. I have one with me right now so depending on how long she stays, it could be a week or so before she reaches the gulf states. I am still hearing reports north of me of people with at least3 or 4 hummers still.

Penny

Sponsored
More Discussions