Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayinpenn

How much longer will the little guys be here?

rayinpenn
12 years ago

I live in southeastern PA near Wilmington DE. The little guys have been around for weeks. Its been terrific we watch them buzz each other and feed around our 2 feeders. Anyone have and idea when they will leave. I have to believe vey soon.

Comments (8)

• finchelover
    12 years ago

I still have 3 around but our temps the last 3 nites have dropped to low 40's @ nite so I was wondering the same thing.

• salliestarr
    12 years ago

I only have had 3 maybe 4 this whole summer in southwest VA. It is much cooler here at night now. Each morning I check the branch where she sits to guard her feeder, and she is there. I wonder if they fly at night when they leave or do they leave in the early morning and rest at night wherever. How far do they fly at one time? Steve, your feeder and the multitude it feeds is impressive! I wish I could attract more of them. Do you use the 1 to 4 sugar/water formula? LOve your photos...

• jomuir
    12 years ago

I haven't seen any here in Detroit in a few days, but am going to leave the feeders up for a couple more weeks, just in case.
    Being new to feeding them this year, I'm already missing them! And planning what, where and when to plant things, and will consult the list started on this site. We need a bigger garden/yard.

• Edie
    12 years ago

I've still got at least one juvie up here, just saw him. I had probably 12-16 hummers fighting over my feeders two weeks ago. Now that the buckets of rain have stopped I'd expect to hear them squabbling if they were still here, but it's quiet. The adult male that guarded "his" window feeder hasn't been sighted for a week. I bet those of you south of me will be seeing some travelers soon. They will be looking for "pit stops" on the way so please keep at least one feeder up! I've got six of the mini single-port feeders and plan to keep at least one out until the end of the month.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I have had an awesome august , and just when I think they will taper off here they come again. Im guessing in the 10-12 range today possibly more at times. After I finished mowing today they couldnt wait to take over the yard.

Heres a shot I took yesterday 9-8

• salliestarr
    12 years ago

Steve, are yours all females? My 3 are still here in southwest VA. One is a male.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Females and young males can sometimes be hard to tell apart. But I have one adult male for 6 days in a row patroling my back yard.

• jomuir
    12 years ago

Did you feel like you're being watched while you mowed?

I'm so jealous seeing that gang on your feeders, and envious, I haven't seen a tower feeder like that before. And here I thought hummingbird feeding would be cheap and easy compared to the expensive thistle for finches, & the safflower for cardinals. This forum may be problematic for me....

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions
More Discussions