Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A new challenger - Closeup PICS

Posted by kenn3d ZONE 6 (kenn3d@charter.net) on
Sat, Sep 1, 07 at 12:10

Hi all,

It seems we have a new young challenger for "King of the stick" today.

Here are some closeups from this morning:

He bristles with quite some authority for a juvenile... I wonder if he'll stay on his throne until he gets his gorget feathers. :)

Kenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A new challenger - Closeup PICS

Kenn,
Great shots!! Your 'prince' is a 'princess' (note the white tips on tail feathers), and no, she doesn't look tuff enuff to reign.

o

Doh! LOL
Thanks ctnchpr,

I've obviously got a lot to learn. This isn't the first time I've misidentified a bird... especially a juvenile. I was judging by her actions on the perch... she certainly seemed to be trying to play the part. And with about 6-10 hummers buzzing around the yard, none were challenging her this morning.

Kenn

o

Spectacular photos!

o

Absolutely perfect!!!!
Konrad

o

Kenn,

I'm afraid I was a little too hasty when identifying your hummer as a female. I've been making close-up videos of my flock, and noticed the subadult males had white tips on their tail feathers. I could find nothing in my newer field guides to illustrate this, so I dug out my 40 year old guide (held together w/duct tape), and it showed the immature male with white tips. Sorry 'bout the confusion.

BTW, how long did the little boss wannabe hold claim to the stick?

o

Hi ctnchpr,

As of this morning "little boss" is still on the stick...;)

But I must admit I still have my doubts. I don't think we have any adult males left around here now, and this one certainly may not be the only hummer to perch there. We've still got at least 6 chasing each other about, and as fast as they move I'm usually unable to tell them apart.
Anyway this looks like the same one to me:

And, although this one seems to sit there longest, and bristles and gestures the most...

I've seen others actually sit at the feeder and drink less than two feet away during his (or her?) displays.
Like this one (who's maybe even more likely a male??):

I just know they're a lot of fun to watch. :)

Kenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here