for a week or so, then one sad morning, I'll wake

up to just 5 or 6. If I could, I would write a

song which would be entitled 'My Hummer Done Gone

Blues'.

detail

Comments (12)

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Wow; I'm jealous; great photos! Where are you located?

• kenn3d
    16 years ago

Hi cntchpr,

I see at least 2 adult males in your second picture. We've not sighted any for about a week, (only juvies and females here now) so I guess ours have come to visit you on their way south. :)

It's really amazing how many you have there.

Kenn

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

ctnchpr---Im not surprised after all Ive been sending them to you for a couple of weeks now, all kidding aside I still have 12-15 this morning and I notice 3 adult males. The fact that I still have these males is a good sign for me, but I do feel my number have declined a bit and expect to really drop off as soon as the heat spell changes to cooler weather. Thanks for sharing your pics.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tracey,
    Thanks! I live in Tennessee halfway between Memphis and Nashville.

Kenn,
    I still have several adult males, I'm not sure if they're mine or migrators or a mixture.

hummersteve,
    Keep 'em coming!!! I'm glad you still have such a nice group.

• meyankee
    16 years ago

Now I know where my hummers went :) I have not seen any for a couple of days now so I guess here in central Maine we will be hummer-less until spring :(

• loulou1
    16 years ago

ctnchpr,
    I too am very jealous....but what GREAT pics. So do you think they will be headed my way anytime soon???? I have been waiting for a couple years (tee hee)!!!!!! but I keep being hopeful !!!!!!!

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

ctnchpr--- I hesitate to post these bad pics , terrible camera I have, but this swarm rivals one of your feeders.

dont know where these guys came from
    {{gwi:999659}}

{{gwi:999661}}

• dominidan
    16 years ago

ctnchpr, Do most of you have that many feeders? I have one and a digital camera that doesn't seam to like hummers. I take a lot of abuse when I go to work and talk about this new hobby. I wonder what they'll say if I get more feeders, ha ha ha. I just can't believe that many hummingbirds can be in one place. Great shots.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Guys, thats how you start with 1 or 2 feeders and as you draw more and more hummers to your place you will add feeders and therefore get even more hummers. Also you add the right flowers, the ones that produce nectar not all flowers produce nectar even thou they will be attracted to almost anything red you will want the flowers they will come to again and again and that is how the addiction will grow. If you really love this hobby continue with it and dont worry what others say and just maybe you will convert some of them. By the way, I have 9 feeders in my front yard and one large feeder in the back and next year I will be adding more feeder and flowers even thou I have just a small lot.

• loulou1
    16 years ago

hammersteve,
    You are so right about not belieiving what everybody tells you cuz most people kept telling me Fla had NO hummers and for 3 years I have been adding flowers and feeders and today I finally had 3 hummers.....I know to some that's not many but for me it was as good as a million.....I will continue to believe and I will keep feeding them. I have 7 feeders and will probably add more.

• lovefornature
    16 years ago

WOW!! There is some major zinger action going on at your feeders :) I have never seen so many, and they seem to all get along!!

I am going to take pics of mine tomorrow. Zone 5B here.

Sponsored
More Discussions