Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell me about Firebush (hamelia patens)

Posted by ThomasLearning none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 12:56

I want to plant Firebush (hamelia patens) in the ground in the Spring. Right now it is in a pot.

Is this plant invasive? How tall and wide does it get when planted in the ground? Does in need to be pruned when the ends turn black? How do you control the many seeds to keep it from starting new plants)?

What are good easy-to-find trouble free companion plants to grow with it?(trouble free to me is no runner roots, not invasive, no spreading, average water, relatively disease and pest free).

I would love to have any information on caring for this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell me about Firebush (hamelia patens)

I don't know where you live, but here in Florida, it takes care of itself. Mine is in the ground, going on 6 years, and hasn't spread at all. It doesn't require any special care in my yard - I've not had any problems with black tips.

I have Plumbago planted with mine.

o

I don't know where you live, but here in Florida, it takes care of itself. Mine is in the ground, going on 6 years, and hasn't spread at all. It doesn't require any special care in my yard - I've not had any problems with black tips.

I have Plumbago planted with mine.

o

Thanks Kayjones

o

Here in southcentral Texas, it's great! Xeriscape plant, does usually die back in the winters here, but comes back in spring. It does, of course, need some pruning back in winter. I just have to be sure to just prune back the dead parts, because some of the lower stems arent dead. It's easy to care for and hummingbirds love it when it starts blooming. I've still got a few hummingbirds!

This post was edited by linda_tx8 on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 13:55

o

Thanks Linda_tx8 8. I have not seen any hummingbirds yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here