Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

Census photos - 9/20

ctnchpr
16 years ago

HUMMERSTEVE!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!! ;-)

Usually at this point in Sep, mine are mostly gone. But not this year, I count about 42-44, and the cedar trees were full of 'em!

{{gwi:999806}}

Comments (17)

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Sick, absolutely sick!
    You're one lucky person; I'd LOVE have that setup in my garden, hummers included. I can't even get 2 to nectar at a 6 port feeder together. You really have a truly gorgeous setup; thanks for sharing...

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

ctnchpr--- Wow! Way to go , it appears you have a long way to go. Every morning I get up at daylight and welcome the hummers in thinking will this be the morning that I see no hummers, today wasnt it. I could count 15 easy of course there werent any males. I saw one male for a day and a half , before that it was a couple of weeks. So what Im saying is they are still filtering down from north of me, enjoy!!

• scaldude
    16 years ago

That is awesome, if Hummingbirds had a "AAA Migration Guide For Pit-stops", your yard would be on the cover!

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

How do you get them to sit together is what I want to know!!

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Minnie--- IM no expert , but Im guessing when the numbers are high everything changes, providing you have enough feeders. I have had similar conditions thou not that many. On my back patio I have one large feeder six ports. One evening I noticed them swarming that feeder all ports taken and hummers waiting to get on, why they were swarming that one feeder, Im not sure.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone!

scaldude - I would like that!

minnie - I have the tiniest chair and whip that I use to make them cooperate. ;-) No, hummersteve is right. As the numbers increase, there seems to be a tipping point after which 1 or 2 or 3 can't dominate all the others, so everything settles down. They still fight constantly, but there's no clear boss - it's just a free-for-all.

• sgt_bob
    16 years ago

Wow! Incredible! You really weren't kidding about 5 Star accommodations!

• laurmela
    16 years ago

I want one!

Can you give us the details? I would love to have that in my yard. It would accomodate all the hummers you all up north send down my way. Right now I am fixing about 10 cups of nectar a day.

Went to Costco yesterday to get 2 more 10 lb bags of sugar.

With this rain threatening, will have to make sure they are all filled. They go crazy in the rain here.

Toodles,
    Laura

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laura,

The crosspiece is Eastern red cedar (very rot resistant), and the post is the trunk of a native blueberry (Vaccinium arboreum). The feeders are Best-1 and First Nature.

• User
    16 years ago

Im so envious. I look at your feeder setup often. I hope
    my little babies come to your house. Wish we could outfit them
    with a video cam :) wouldnt that be a site lol. My 2 regulars
    are still here.. and today theres also a migrator.. hes fat
    too :) Winter isnt far away,, I cant wait for spring.. already got a few more feeders,just waiting.

• scaldude
    16 years ago

Yeah, when migration is in full swing even my 6 port HummZingers are covered, but don't let the serene image fool you, the hummers are pretty nervous...when one looses their balance & flaps their wings, it soon looks like a game of musical chairs and they're shifting all around...LOL

• lovefornature
    16 years ago

That is the most amazing sight I have ever seen and beautifully set up also!!

They are still migrating thru my yard in Central IL, but my gosh, I sure do not have the crowd that you do. I have two Red Cedars in my front yard, along with my 3 feeders.

You must be the major hub stop for them. Just like the Atlanta Airport (can't go South to Florida without stopping and having a layover in Atlanta).

Do you have plantings also, or just the feeders?

• bdriver71
    16 years ago

ctnchpr Don't see anything that indicates where you are? Seems a lot of people don't list their state. It is so interesting to know whats going on and where. I am so jealous! I haven't seen a hummer in 2 days now. Working in the yard just isn't the same without getting buzzed all the time!

• alan8
    16 years ago

Wow! Beautiful Interesting Design! HUMMER HAPPY HOUR!!
    Thanks for posting the photo. I showed it to the wife and now I have to go cut some cedar branches. I still have lots of time for hummers here in Alabama.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone!!

alii,
    Your babies are welcome at "CC's Place, Where the feeders are clean and the nectar is always fresh".

bdriver71,
    Western Tn, halfway between Memphis and Nashville.

lfn,
    I have some Lobelia cardinalis in bog planters on my deck which a little female has guarded all summer. I also have lots of Cleome spinosa which the hummers love. I planted the Cleome about 25 years ago, and it's reseeded every year since - absolutely carefree. I've read so much on this forum about the "Black & Blue" and "Lady in Red" salvias, that I'll probably try some in containers on my deck next year. I live in the middle of the woods, and the hummers have hundreds of acres of the native plants with which they evolved. The 12 evergreens (Eastern red cedar & American holly) in my backyard are one reason (IMO) that my place is a 'hummer hub'. They provide shelter, cover, and nesting sites. Some of them can be seen in this photo taken this past Groundhog Day (that's "Margarita Central" surrounding the fire pit).

{{gwi:999815}}

Cleome spinosa

• esrungg
    16 years ago

That is amazing......they all look like little piggie butterballs. I'am surprised they are not fighting each other......ya gotta luv em. i had 4 feeders up this summer and they all spent more time running each other off the feeders than eating it seems

• sharondw
    16 years ago

What an awesoome setup. I added a few new feeders this yr & it has been great. When I sit on my deck my hummers come right up to me then go to their feeder. This yr I even had some youngsters & they really are funny. The adults seemed to be happy with the port they were at but the youngsters flitted from 1 to another. I dont know how they even got any nectur as they didnt hesitate long enough.

I redid some of the landscaping around the deck & they seemed to be more trusting. They have even ajusted to my lab & Shepard being on the deck.

I think I will add several more feeders come spring since the word is out we're the pit stop. I liked your set up & will try to set up something similar but on a smaller scale at the back of my yard. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions