Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjsans

late stay Hummer couple

cjsans
9 years ago

I have a pair of Hummingbirds still at my feeder. I have never seen them stay around this late in the year before. Is this really quite common or do I have an unusual couple?

Comments (18)

• franktank232
    9 years ago

Maybe a sign of mild weather ahead? The weather models all show a very mild first few (if not most of the month) weeks of October.

• Cheddarchick
    9 years ago

I have 2 left, both females. Just make me worry...This was this morning as she looks very grumpy....

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Wonderful photo, cheddarchick. Lovely little fluffed up thing. Never seen one like it! Thanks for sharing.

I saw on this morning, but no chasing any more, so only one I think.

Keep those feeders up for another little while, guys. They're still out there.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

Love the picture!

• cjsans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just took them down today. I haven't seen any for several days. Should I put them back up? I still have honeysuckle, a few trumpets, and flowers on the butterfly bush.

• dreamgarden
    9 years ago

"I just took them down today. I haven't seen any for several days. Should I put them back up?"

Absolutely. Many late comers coming through. With the drought in so many areas, food isn't as plentiful.

I plan to keep my feeders up until it snows.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

I agree, put them back up. I still have at least one in St Louis suburbs. Saw one on the feeder four times today.

They try to fatten up before they leave, so the ones left behind are the little guys that need a little extra boost. The fatties are already gone.

• cjsans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Snow!! - You're kidding - really????? OK, they're back up. I never really thought about other travelers passing through.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

I have two here this morning. 150 miles S. of STL. :)

• sgibbsc
    9 years ago

Hi All,

This my first post on this Forum and I'm very happy to have found you all!

I thought all the hummers had left a couple of weeks ago, but I kept the feeder filled and now there seem to be one or two females who visit several times a day. I am so thrilled that some are still around but worry that it will get too cold for them!

I like the idea of keeping the feeder up till it snows!

• mizruzz
    9 years ago

I still have my feeders up but my last visitor so far was Oct 6. I am in western Fairfax County, VA.

I've maintained 2 feeders since early April. I figure I had at least 6 resident hummers by Jul. maybe more. I normally fill only 2 inches of nectar in the feeders and change every other day. They regularly emptied 1/4 inch daily. The last week of August they emptied my feeders every day! By the first week of September I only saw females and or juveniles. I haven't seen one male since late August. By the end of September I was getting regular visits but knew they were travelers and my resident hummers had left. My resident hummers had favorite places to perch and recognizable approach patterns when coming to the feeders. The travelers approached from different directions and searched around clearly not immediately knowing where the feeders were. They at first would be interested in the orange flowers on my deck furniture or the flowers on my granddaughters bicycle seat before finally finding the feeders. The activity was still high through Sept but by the last week of Sept and the first week of Oct we've only spotted one daily.

I'm going to maintain my feeders until freezing becomes a problem.

Hummingbird watching has been a Blast!

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

sgibbsc, we're glad you found us, too. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them, and how late they are still around is part of it. PS helpful to know your zone :)

mizzruzz, yes, it's been a blast! I enjoyed your post and the details about how the strangers act vs your residents. Will watch for that next year. I've only seen one every few days in October. Last sighting was Oct 15. My feeders are still up, but not going down much.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

Saw a couple here today. I was outside Friday working in the yard and was hoping to see one or two buzz by me. No such luck. I came inside, sat down on the couch and they started coming to my feeder. Just my luck. :)

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

charlee, really big luck! Whereabouts are you in MO? I've been seeing your posts, seems like we should be comparing notes :)

• Lardiver
    9 years ago

We have hummers that stay all year, we had to thaw the feeders last winter every 2 hours. we are in Abbotsford BC. since there are no bugs in winter what do the birds eat besides our sugar water.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Oh, there's plenty of bugs, even in winter!! And overwintering Anna's are very resourceful and hunt out winter flowers that provide nectar as well - winter flowering mahonia, winter blooming heathers, Sarcococca, witch hazels, Lonicera fragrantissima, winter daphnes, winter camellias, hellebores, Skimmia japonica. If it blooms, they find it.

And we are lucky to live in a mild enough climate that offers these plants.....one of the reasons Anna's DO overwinter so easily here.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Our hummers left in Sept. I miss them! I read that we are supposed to keep at least one feeder up all year round for migrators.

• feral.kitty
    9 years ago

For 2 years now we've had immature hummers stay with us. Just not fat enough to migrate. By mid-winter I start warming and rotating feeders to keep them from freezing. Also don't like getting up at 4:30 when they are most in need. My solution: a heating pad meant for small outdoor animals. Just place the feeder ona chair and plug in the heater. Perfect temp!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions