Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glorybee_gw

Am I Enabling?

glorybee
16 years ago

I was thinking today and I am trying to plan ahead for new gardens next spring.Normally with the hummers I have a feeder on the front porch and 1 on the back porch.I have morning glories hollyhocks petunias and geraniums usually every year.I have seen the hummers check out the morning glorys and hollyhocks but mostly perched on the geraniums and petunias.I see them feed more on the sugar watered feeders though.Do you think feeders are the bird equivalent to fast food?Do you think if I go through a major effort to give them gorgous flowers next year that they would still prefer the feeders? What is best for them?I will be honest here too with the feeders! They have begun to leak.They are a couple years old now.It gets on the deck rail then ants and wasps come in masses! I feel so bad for the hummers trying to dodge the wasps! I have tried oiling the feeders but have had no luck.My mom saved me an article about a man who invented a feeder that I may try next year.It apparently is a better design.He apparently designed some medical equipment also.Has anyone tried it.(I included the link below).Its a bit late in the season for me to buy one now though.One plus of my leaky feeders though are butterflies! THey love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Feeder

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions
More Discussions