Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vuwugarden

New to Hummer World

vuwugarden
14 years ago

Hi all,

I frequent the rose forum and didn't know this forum existed until today! Yeah!

I have one feeder for the hummers but only one hummer seem to frequent it. Others try to use it but this one green/gray hummer chases them away.

Should I add more feeders or what are your suggestions to attracting more hummers to my yard? I have some flowers that the hummers do "check" out but not stay to drink. I guess they're the wrong kinds.

I appreciate any suggestions....

Comments (4)

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Hi, welcome to the Hummernut forum!!

You need to add at least 1 more feeder. Try to place it out of direct line of sight of the other one, the opposite side of your house would be best.

Your hummers won't get much nectar from your roses. There are several threads on this forum about hummer flowers, this is the latest one...

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite hummer flowers

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Besides the common varieties mentioned in hummer favs, you should consider cuphea shumannii and cuphea david verity which could grow year round in texas. Before I forget welcome to the forum, friendly people , much info can be obtained here about hummers , feeders and plants.

• eyesofthewolf
    14 years ago

Hey Im new to, both to the website and to attracting hummingbirds, I think I have read every article out there about hummers this season I put out 8 different feeders and red ribbon everywhere, but I wasn`t seeing any ( until I took the fake owl away) then they came fighting and doing star war manuvers it was great then sept 17th came and they left I think to mexico. I bought all the recommended plants and the birds said no way I want the the bottle of juice please, but my fav plant is the Turks cap and since your the same zone as mine I know it will be hardy. I bought some other plants cuphea being one that are just to fragile if you have dogs they trample and mow them down. If you have room for vines like trumpet and coral honeysuckle they work great. I was trying to get plants that bloom early spring to late fall oh and wearing Red when your out working in the yard is so much fun they get real close to check you out to see if your food. Red buckeye a bush is a early bloomer lantana is another one I think alot of the sage plants (cherrysage, autumn sage Mountain sage) are a few, I have noticed that on other sites that the plants are not going to work here so the local websites are better, I went out looking for plants and felt real stupid when told oh that doesn`t grow here.
    I think I will keep changing the food and keep a couple feeders out for those birds just passing by on their trek to winter migration. Good luck and keep watching for those cute little birds.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

eyesofthewolf
    I am up in western NY and most of the plants that I grow for hummers I am told do not grow here either. Some I do have to bring inside for the winter and some I take cuttings of or retstart from seed in late winter. Some good plants for you folks in Texas beside the salvias are Agastaches, Stachys coccinea (Texas Betony) and Penstemons. All three are good hummer plants and very drought tolerant and better yet very easy to grow. The Cupheas mentioned are excellent but do take quite a bit of water even here in the northeast.

Penny

Sponsored
More Discussions