Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using bleach on red hummingbird feeder parts

Posted by jay733 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 15:01

If I use a 1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water solution to soak my red glass flower petals for an hour, will it fade or change in any way its color?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using bleach on red hummingbird feeder parts

I never had a problem with bleach and fading feeders. I do have a best-1 feeder and that faded a bit, but from the sun and not the bleach. How can I tell you ask? Only the top is fading, not the inside, nor the bottom. If it was from the bleach it would be faded the same everywhere.

What kind of feeders do you have?

o

jay 733

I have a hummzinger excel and I soak it in bleach with no fading. Hummzinger have lifetime warranties. When I bleach soak I fill a sink half full of water and add 1 cup of bleach for at least an hour. Some of the cheaper feeders saucer and bottle types will fade just in the sun so I can only imagine what bleaching will do.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 19:17

When my feeders need bleach I use a very weak solution similar to yours ... about 1 - 2 tablespoons per half gallon of water and soak for 15 minutes. That's all it takes. Fading has only been a problem on some feeders from the sun ... not from bleaching.

o

These are the parasol bouquet feeders, they are made of glass with red glass flower tubes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here