Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

How long does the necture solution last?

tisha_
16 years ago

Two weeks ago, I saw my first hummingbird. Of course, I'd seen pictures and I've seen them on TV and stuff, but never in person.

Anyway, I was so excited.

Then, last week I saw either my 2nd hummingbird or I saw the same one again. It seemed to think that our chili pepper lights were tiny hummingbird feeders. Cute, but sad. So, I went and bought a feeder this weekend. Ironically, it's shaped like a giant chili pepper.

So, Monday night I mixed up some necture stuff and put it out. I think it was 1 cup of liquid and the feeder was about 3/4 full. Well, today at lunch I noticed that almost all the necture is gone. There's only maybe a teaspoon left.

Is it possible that a hummingbird drank it all that fast or is it more likely that the wind did it or something?

I have no experience with this, so I'm clueless.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (8)

• rjinga
    16 years ago

I dont know what feeder you have, but I got some that when NOT 100% full, they completely leaked out .....I didn't notice it at first, because where it leaked was clear (sugar water) I only figured out it was leaking when the nectar turn to syrup on my porch railing!!!

(of course it's possible that it's hummers, but if you have only seen one or two, it's not as likely that they drained it in such a shor time....I have mine out for 2-4 days, and usually at day 3 it's nearly gone (I have never seen more than 3 hummers on mine at any time..and usually it's one here and there, first thing in the morning, then again in the late afternoon and evening.

But like others have said here, if you put up the feeders, eventually they will become regular visitors :)

• tisha_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine is like this. (link posted below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chili Pepper Hummingbird Feeder

• scaldude
    16 years ago

It probably dripped-out. ItÂs cute & all, but that style of feeder has problems with ants & bees.

The solution, depending on how hot the weather is, will last 3-7 days. You donÂt want the solution to ferment. I only fill mine half-way when activity is low. DonÂt waste your money on any special red colored mix, grocery store sugar with 1x4 mix is perfectÂthe red feeder will attract the hummers plenty.

Trade-up to a HummZingerÂ

• scouterbecky
    16 years ago

I agree with scaldude. I bought a couple of the HummZinger feeders and have seen more hummers the last three weeks than all season. I had another feeder with four ports and kept thinking it was dripping out in 2 days, but now I realize there probably were more birds than I thought. You may have more birds or have a drippy feeder, but try the HummZinger. The birds sit around on it and stay longer anyway. And no, I am not a salesperson for the company. Haha

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

I believe those bottom type feeders will leak, and I dont know what other kind of feeders you were using and hummers could be using them but heres another idea. If you are in an area that has bats they can drain a feeder in no time. When my sister lived in arizona she said everyone would take their feeders in at night because of this. Just a thought.

• sidk
    16 years ago

Tisha lives in Oklahoma so I looked up what bats live there. The Department of Wildlife Conservation says Oklahoma has 22 species of bats and all bats in Oklahoma feed on insects. The page doesn't say anything about nectar. Everything I found about bats drinking nectar talks about the tropics and Arizona. If bats are drinking Tisha's nectar I'm sure the Department of Wildlife Conservation would be interested to hear about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oklahoma Bats

• tisha_
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, and for the bat info.

I refilled the feeder yesterday and watched it most of the day. Didn't notice any dripping, other than when we were first hanging it and it was swining all over.

I'm thinking maybe the nectar did drip out (at least partly) because it was quite windy and stormed some last week.

Anyway, I'm not going to throw it out, but will keep a closer eye on it. I want to put a feeder in the front yard too, so I think I will get one of the other styles for that.

Thanks again,
    Tisha

• mlhowell1953
    8 years ago

I looked out at my feeder one day that I had just filled and you could not see the feeder for the honey bees. they drained it dry in less than 1 hour. has any one else had that to happen?

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions