Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
East Texas migration in full force

Posted by bill75773 none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 7, 12 at 15:47

The hummers are swarming my feeders all day on their way back south. I have had feeders out for about 15 years and this time of the year is always fun. I am now feeding about 5 cups of sugar water per day but most will be gone with the first norther. Here is a picture I took just after daylight this morn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: East Texas migration in full force

Wow! So many hummers! Just put an impatients capensis on my porch and the hummers from the garden come onto the porch for the geramium and the impatients capensis!

o

I've seen a couple of female ruby throated hummers in my yard for the last couple of weeks, here in Houston. You really have a huge flock of them there!

o

I live down here in Rockport Texas and I have been out of state. Just got home yeterday and put up 9 feeders. Have gone through 24 cups of solution since last night. And don't forget about the Rockport Hummer/Bird Celebration September 13 thru September 16. More hummers than you can imagine!

o

OMG I can't believe all those birds! I'm in San Diego and have never seen more than 3 in my yard at a time and now that I hung a feeder one has become very territorial. Pops out of nowhere to chase the others away from the feeder AND every plant in the yard! Same experience when I lived in Orange Co.
So why do some birds share and others not? Is it species, location, gender or ??? I don't know enough about them to tell male from female.
Quite amusing to watch. It could become addictive!

o

I have found that the Rufous are VERY territorial and chase everyone away! They are never here to stay but always passing through. Their beauty makes up for their attitude! I have also found that the Costa's are pretty mild mannered. It is addicting!! I love 'em!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here