Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vuwugarden

Vines for Pergola that Hummers LOVE

vuwugarden
14 years ago

Are there vines that Hummingbirds love that are capable of climbing a pergola?

Many thanks for any replies!

Comments (18)

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Whre to start. How about some honeysuckles. Coral and gold flame are two good ones to start with. Everygreen and bloom constantly. Especially from early spring until late fall for me here in southeast Alabama.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I have Coral Honeysukle, Trumpet vine, and Sun Parasol Mandavilla vines.

Coral Honeysuckle: It doesnt bloom enough, although the hummers love what blooms it has. I'll try Gold Flame next year if I can find it. Coral has no fragrance btw.

Sun Parosol Mandavilla: It bloomed in June and not since. Its rugged and thrived in the heat here. It's the best

climbing vine I have seen. Hummers didn't like the blooms.

Trumpet Vine: I don't remember what the variety was I bought. It grows like a weed. It bloomed on one cluster, its first year here. The hummers go to it, but the blooms are so big, they have to put their heads inside the blooms to get to the goodies. Not a favorite hummer plant here, and I will chunk it this winter. I dont like this plant.
    Rob

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Rob if this is the common trumpet vine that grows wild in the south I would think three or four times before I left it in my yard. It is as bad as wisteria. Not as bad as kudzu. It just is a monster that will take over and destroy property.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Thanks Mimi. All my plants are in pots on a third floor apartment balcony, so no worry about it being invasive. My trumpet vine came from a local nursery. From what I have read about them, it may not bloom much until it gets bigger. It wasn't a good choice for me, I don't have the room on my 14 by 6 foot balcony. It's spot will be occupied this winter with leaf lettice or spinache until spring, then maybe some cuphea.

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Cypress vine (Hiedra colorada), a fast growing member of the morning glory family. It will cover a structure in one season. It's an annual, but reseeds like a weed. You can get a packet of seeds for about a dollar at WM/Lowes/HD in the Spring.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

I love the red and green of the Cypress vine. I have some growing on white lattace work.

• vuwugarden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooooo, the Cypress vine is really pretty! I'll stop by Lowe's this weekend to grab a few packets. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

• grrlscout
    14 years ago

I have a lablab hyacinth vine growing in my garden. Yesterday, I encountered a hummer buzzing around it. It's very drought tolerant, so it grows easily here in Arizona, and the flowers do have a nice, heady fragrance, similar to hyacinths.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Purple hyacith vine is good too.

I have to tell y'all that I have just watched a hummingbird work over my Cypress vine. It has grown to the top of a sassafrass(sp) tree that is next to my lattace work. I saw a hummingbird fly into the tree then stood there and watched it enjoy the vine from top to bottom. I do hope this vine reseeds for me. If not I will just have to get another package next spring.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

mimidi
    Cypress vine should reseed for you quite well. It reseeds too well for me all the way up here in NY. Cardinal climber however doesn't reseed for me.

Pen

• ala8south
    14 years ago

Mimidi do watch out for the cypress vine they reseed prolifically....that is some of what you are seeing when you see those little red flowers along the roads right now. It sure is pretty tho.

The purple hyacinth bean has done REAL well in my yard. It has pretty much stayed covered with blooms. I sure do hope my neighbor likes it because I'm betting there is at least as much hanging over the fence as there is in my yard. It's HUGE! It is supposed to produce lots of seeds too. (Anyone want to share experience with that?) We'll see, it's my first year with it. The hummingbirds and butterflies both seem to like it. Tho I still think the hummers like the trumpet honeysuckle the best. And the hyacinth bean isn't evergreen.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Round-up works real well with unwanted plants. We will see what happens next spring.

• ltcollins1949
    14 years ago

Cypress vine is very pretty, but down here it is so very invasive. But if you don't mind it coming up everywhere, go ahead and plant some. I don't do Roundup in my yard. I live 50' from the bay, and I don't want the stuff running off into the bay.

The hummers have been using my passionvine this fall. It has been blooming profusely, and they seem to love it. Also, I don't have one growing, but what about a Clematis? Also you might want to consider Coral honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens, Coralvine Antigonon leptopus, and a native Wisteria. I love Cross vine Bignonia capreolata = Anisostichus capreolata and hummers love it too. Here is a list prepared by NC State University. Be sure to read the comments and avoid some of the invasive ones. Good luck.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

I think I would be able to handle pulling up any wanted little Cypress vine plants. I grew it one time before and it did not re-seed. It will be interesting to see if it does this time. If it does it is in a place where I sould be able to control it.

• ala8south
    14 years ago

Ahhh, Mimidi....I forgot about the roundup usage. And that was what I had in mind doing around the black and blue when it tries to escape. You're right. Glad to hear the cypress didn't drop many seeds. It sure is pretty stuff. I love the foliage.

• natal
    14 years ago

Mimi, you're lucky! I haven't purposely grown cypress vine for years, but I still get volunteers. They're easy to pull out, but it's not something I'd willingly grow again.

Good to hear that the hummers like purple hyacinth bean. I'd like to grow that next year.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I grew Scarlet Runner beans this year, they started blooming much faster than regular pole beans and still have a few flowers now, and lots of edible beans. If picked soon enough they are not at all tough, taste great. I saw the hummer visiting the flowers and then sitting on my trellis, so happy. The cypress vine sounds pretty, I may try it too.

• kerengga1
    14 years ago

I love the red of the Cypress vine. You should try to plant this vine.

Here is a link that might be useful: homemade hummingbird nectar

Sponsored
More Discussions