Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummers Gone Already?

Posted by Eric580 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 16:15

I live in western PA and my hummers have left for the season about three weeks ago. Some cold weather did blow through that week. Has anyone else in my area seen them leave early? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummers Gone Already?

I haven't seen them for weeks, but Just spot one today. I live in Philly suburb.

o

Im not in your area , Im in central indy and my last hummer was sighted on Oct . 8th. To your point that is an early departure for my area. At least the last couple of years its been around Oct 20. Every year is different , as an example- normal peak migration for me has always been most of august but this year peak time was mid-july, go figure.

o

I saw my last hummer Oct. 13th, female RT, very pudgy. I took down all my feeders, except one. I keep it fresh. Last year, I kept one feeder up year 'round, and had one or two hummers that hung around. I hope to see more this year. (I hope my pic is attached)

o

Nana. don't you just love to see them looking pudgy-- every little bit is a survival advantage, poor little guys.

Thanks for the pic, mine have been gone for at least a week.

o

As I mentioned above my last sighting was oct 8th and I was lucky to get a shot of that hummer perched on a stem of my large salvia blue ensign.

photo IMG_1024800x533_zpsdd069477.jpg

speaking of blue ensign heres a shot of two of them trying to buck each other both 6' tall and wide- notice how they dwarf the black and blue below them.

photo IMG_7211800x533_zps0c3692bf.jpg

o

Hi Hummersteve, Our hummers look like cousins! I hope you had a good hummer year. This was my worse. I had 6 feeders out, always clean and fresh, and only one week did I have 4 hummers feeding. Other weeks, I had only one or two. I have B&B planted nearby, and cuphea still blooming. Oh, well, maybe next year.

o

Hi Nanaboo

My season was most likely average as I have had better seasons. One strange observation was that my prime hummer period was mid-july as opposed to the normal mid-august for my area.

Here a couple of shots from that july period.

photo 8410a_zps8b753ad0.jpg

this one was my favorite shot of the season- all males

photo 6680a_zps2078a2c8.jpg

o

Fabulous! I am envious, I would love to have that many hummers around one of my feeders. Your pics are awesome. Thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here