Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doskyjones

Is this unusual?

doskyjones
9 years ago

This summer we had an unusually large number of hummers feeding, and apparently nesting in a huge elm tree in the yard. Three weeks ago, most of the hummers departed for their migration.....all but two--a female and another small bird (maybe a hatchling). They seemed to really enjoy having the yard and feeders to themselves! "Little bird" disappeared one week ago, but the female is still around, seemingly all alone. Why would she be hanging around here so long after all the others left? I've been joking that if it gets any chillier out, I might have to buy her a bus ticket to Mexico!

Comments (9)

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

From what I've read, they fatten themselves up just in case there's some food scarcity ahead, and then leave. Supposedly they fatten up to the point where if they got any heavier, they couldn't fly.

My guess would be she's a little behind and will move on when she's had a chance to eat her fill. I hope she stops here :)

I've had a single bird hang on until about October 15 or 20 here, frosts and near-frosts, a couple of years in a row. It was so cold my heart clutched every time I saw him, but one day he was gone.

When you get a chance to see them up close, or to tell some of them apart, you can see there are some little fatties out there, and some skinnier ones. The fatties are ready to go, tomorrow's breakfast all packed up under their skin :)

• doskyjones
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mehitabel. I hope she eats her fill--after all, she has the feeder to herself now! Sunday night is forecast to be in the 30;s! If I could fly off to warmer weather, I sure would! LOL

• Kristy Asao
    9 years ago

If I were you guys I would've bought bird houses for them for that freezing weather. Poor things.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Feeding them consistently so they can build up the strength to move south is the best thing we can do, IMO. I use 3:1 instead of 4:1 for September on so they can fatten up faster. But some weaker or smaller birds are going to lose out in the competition for food until all the others are gone.

• plantnut65
    9 years ago

i just recently watched a video on Youtube, this is the finial episode, I cried like a baby, it did have a good outcome as I hope yours does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG19CEmfpp4

Part of the enjoyment in birding has been watching the heartache and the victories.

Best to you, windwalker

"He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler."
    Psalm 91:4

• doskyjones
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My last straggler hummer disappeared on the 15th--a full month after all the rest. Now I can stop worrying about her! I think I'll leave the feeder out for another week or so, just to be safe.

• Charlee_MO
    9 years ago

I had a lot of activity at my feeder today. There were at least 4 fighting over it and even bumped into the picture window a time or two.

I hate to see them go.

• mehitabel
    9 years ago

Mine are definitely thinning out. I am seeing only one at a time now, and activity on the deck around the feeders is almost nil. No more chasing, either.

I am only seeing one at a time.

Yes, very sorry to see them go. I love all the whizzing and chasing.

• dreamgarden
    9 years ago

"My last straggler hummer disappeared on the 15th--a full month after all the rest. Now I can stop worrying about her! I think I'll leave the feeder out for another week or so, just to be safe."

We still have a few hummers hanging around our feeders. I've read that hummers migrate at different times, so it is important to keep feeders out for the stragglers.

We plan to leave ours out (along with the water dishes) until the snow comes. Hummers also eat insects. I like to leave a banana peel underneath some of my feeders so it attracts the little bugs they need to keep up with their protein requirements. I don't spray my flowers or plants for bugs with anything toxic.

Don't forget that many areas of the country are experiencing drought. They can use all the help they can get!

"When water resources are scarce, there will be fewer insects in the air. So the lack of moisture and scorching temperatures has reduced insect populations considerably. It makes life difficult for birds that eat them."

A link that might be useful:

http://www.calacademy.org/sciencetoday/drought-hurting-animals-plants/5514104/

Sponsored
More Discussions