Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chao_gw

Do your humers get friendlier this time of year

chao
13 years ago

This year and last year the humming birds here got a lot friendlier from the middle of August till they left. They are not very friendly when they first arrive each year. How do your hummers act. Red

Comments (13)

• nanaboo
    13 years ago

Hi Red,
    Yes, my hummers are a lot more friendly starting in August. Now, I can hold a feeder in my hand,and they buzz around my head. I am trying to take a picture of one feeding from my hand, no luck yet. It does take a lot of patience!

Nana

• nanaboo
    13 years ago

I do not like the pop-up ad. on my post. What do you think?

• rob_a
    13 years ago

Nana, if you mean the link "picture" in your text, I have to agree with you. I don't like those either. However adds help pay for the expenses of the web site.

• nanaboo
    13 years ago

Rob,
    Okay, as long as readers know I did not add the link.

• tracey_nj6
    13 years ago

It doesn't help that one needs to keep disabling these annoying Vibrant linkages. Seems like I have to do it every other day. Sigh.

Regardless, my regulars are just as twitchy by the time they leave as they were when they arrived. You'd figure they'd get used to seeing me outside all the time, changing their feeders. I like the migrators better. They're more sociable and more curious. I currently have a juvie male that always stops to check me out when he's at the feeder outside my kitchen window. I also think I have a juvie female (she's short & stout) but always "looks" at me so sweetly. Neither fly off if I move, which my regulars always did.

• nanaboo
    13 years ago

Help me identify this hummer. I am looking at her? right now. White tip on tail, grey throat,neck, belly, but 2 large black? spots on neck. Does not look like red gorget, can it be?

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Hummers do seem more bold at this time but its a matter of importance now they must feed to get stocked up for the trip south. I noticed today them hardly backing up when I replaced a feeder, not uncommon for this time of year.

• chao
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure makes it bad when they leave. I never dreamed humers could be so much fun. Red

• rob_a
    13 years ago

Red, Nana is the hummer whisperer.

My hummers are skittish when they first get here, but if they become regulars for the summer, they get used to me being around them and close to their feeders.

When they get used to you they will fly very close, going around you or even up a foot in front of your face, checking you out. It still startles me when I heard that rapid wing beat humming sound close to my ear! LOL

• ctnchpr
    13 years ago

nana,

Sounds like a juvenile male Ruby-throated. Watch how the single gorget feather on this juvie male flashes red when the light hits it just right...

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

• chao
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is my second year of dealing with humers. This year one was so friendly she flew to her nest while I was watching.The nest was in a pine tree. It looks like a little pine cone from the ground. I never could see if she hatched anything. I didnt want to stay to long at a time or climb up and take a chance of scaring her. Will she nest there next year. Red

• nanaboo
    13 years ago

I had one big tummy Ruby Throat male perched on limb near a feeder all day today. The others, about 4, females and juvies sipped from the window feeders, so cute, to watch up close. I hope they are still here in the morning.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Hummers are also rather curious and sometimes very bold. Often when Im outside early at dawn with my coffee it is not unusual for them to flutter in front of face just 1 foot away mano mano and it can be slightly unnerving. Are they saying "good morning" or "what are you doing in my area" either way its fun.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions