Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
News from NW Florida

Posted by srfulton none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 17:30

I started feeding Hummers last year and wanted to find out everything I could about these guys. Had about 12 at one time in my yard last Sept. after puting up feders and hanging up red cups to mark my yard for them to come and enjoy. Started my garden litle by litle late in the year and continued this year and have notivced that a few much stay here during the spring because I have seen about 4 visit my garden every since June and now have about 7 or 8 running around my garden and the feeders. Cant wait till the ones in the north start coming back from Canada and New York. These guys love the cigar plant the most but they will test out any flower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: News from NW Florida

Yes they do like and use the cigar plant here too but and will use every bloom in the garden during migration. But top dog in my garden year in and year out is salvia guaranitica either "blue ensign" or "black and blue". Blue ensign is larger than black and blue.

salvia black and blue
Photobucket

in the foreground is black and blue and blue ensign in the rear, blue ensign is 5' plus

Photobucket

black and blue blooms
Photobucket

blue ensign with the green calyx
Photobucket

two blue ensign in the rear side by side.
Photobucket

blue ensign does not get this big in one year this about 5 seasons of growth the payoff is the hummers love it.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here