Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loulou1_gw

No hummers at dusk ??????

loulou1
16 years ago

Can anyone explain why I am not seeing hummers at dusk??? But are active in morning and afternoon......I appreciate any feedback, maybe they have found a better food source, huh?

Comments (15)

• scaldude
    16 years ago

It's hard to say; maybe not a "better" food source, but a need for something you're not providing. What are your nectar sources? What are their feeding habits when they are in your yard...do they hit & run, or do they "hang-out"? Do you have a dominant hummer guarding your yard? Have they always done this, or is this a new behavior?

• loulou1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have 9 HB feeders with red nectar and LOTS of HB plants such as,(firespike,salvia,shrimp,firecracker,firebush,pentas,lantana)..I have only had hummers for 4 days.(Yepee)...but most feeding habits have been Hit & Run until today.....seemed to be "checking things out"....and staying a little longer at feeder and flowers..I do not have a dominant hummer hanging out in the yard. I try to follow after they leave but too fast...I only have 2 or 3 coming to yard and feeders and they only come sporadically(sp)...sometimes hours pass and then sometimes about every 1/2 hour. What do you think?????

• yardenman
    16 years ago

I have my feeders set at places that develop different temps during the day. One feeder gets early sunrise light, which must warm it up fastest after the cool nights I have had, and some feeders that are in the shade and stay cooler long into the warmer daytime.

I think the variation helps the hummers adjust to the changing temperatures. Warmer nectar in the cool morning air temps must be better for them than cold, for example.

Just my guess.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Not sure why your hummers dont come at dusk, except that hummers are migrating now and carring excess fat for their movement south and will not feed as much will be more apt to guard a feeder and sip once in a while, but should use your flowers thou. I have one fault with your feeders thou, you should not use the red nectar or dye for your water, it is widely accepted that the dye could cause internal harm to hummers and is not needed. Plain sugar water is best 1part sugar to 4water. No red dye, please!! Hummers are attracted to red, granted, but most feeders have enough red on them to do them to do the job and if not tie some red string or ribbon to it.

• loulou1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hummersteve,

Thanks for responding but I am really confused?????? I am NOT using per say "RED DYE" or FOOD COLORING....I am using the packets of red NECTAR that you purchase from the store and just add water!!!! Most people I know use this.

That is exceptable isn't it???? I would NEVER EVER do anything to "HARM" these precious birds..........

• User
    16 years ago

loulou1: HI. This being our first yr ever to even see let
    alone feed hummers.. we automatically bought the red nectar
    off the shelf when we got the feeders. When I read here as
    well as other sites that said DONT use the *red stuff* in the
    store I told my hubby.. well we bought it so lets use it up.
    So we did. Two weeks went by and we didnt get a a single sipper. So we got it used up and I decided we must not have
    Hummers here.. sadly. BUT... I said lets try making our own
    like they said.. us both assuming there wouldnt be any takers.. tried anyway. WELL....... get this!!! Within 10
    minutes after we out the home made nectar.. I looked out the
    window and there IS Hummer!!! I was soooo excited I couldnt
    even call my hubby!! I was drinking coffee.. I litteraly spit the coffee on the window when I saw it! lol Make the home made.. dont get the store stuff.. besides they say its not good for them. Trust me the home made works!

• loulou1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alli,

Well, I guess we "live" and "learn", huh.....I have always used the "red stuff" even when I lived in Virginia...and ALL my sisters use it in other states...so I need to tell them that it's not good for them....I NEVER knew that.

THANKS to everyone for your knowledge and help!!!!!!! I will be at the stove shortly and be making me the "HOME" brew....

• ctnchpr
    16 years ago

loulou,

If you're going to be at the stove to boil your mixture, don't waste your time. Boiling is completely unnecessary. I use a 1 quart pyrex measuring cup to mix mine, and I just microwave the water a minute or two to make the sugar dissolve faster. And thanks for not using that nasty red stuff.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

loulou--- Im sure no more need be said on the red stuff. I would like to add this. I spoil my hummers just a little bit more, I use only bottled water for my hummers , have all summer. Dont think its neccessary, its just a quirk I have. Bottled water has a better taste than from my tap.

• sharondw
    16 years ago

I guess Im just a cheapy. I make my own mix & I just use tap water. 1:4 sugar to water. I just dissolve the sugar, put in feeder & hang. No coloring. The little hummers seemed to like it ok as they would visit often (hourly or so).

They would perch at the feeder then fly to thier favorite nearby tree & sit. Alittle while later they would be back. My feeders are in areas where they get sporadic sun but not so much that it will sour the nector.

I change out my food every few days & what is left in the feeder I dump on the plants below. This seemed to also eliminate the ants on the feeder. They are happy on the plants.

So save your money, dont buy store mix. Just add your sugar to tap or bottled water. You dont even need to cook it. Happy Hummers

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I use my tap water that's been "cleansed" in a Brita pitcher, or bottled water. I don't boil; I'm to impatient for it to cool down. I'm one of those "wait until the last minute" types that needs it right away. I won't even drink my tap water; I would never give it straight up to my hummers, or my cat! I'm overly sensitive to taste and smell, but the chemicals they put in our drinking water is just awful to me (hear that United Water/Bergen County?!?!?!). There was also a recent report about there being too much sodium in the tap water. I mostly see my hummers in early am and dusk, from June to Sept. Once I start seeing them more during the day on and after work, and less at dusk, I know the migrators have arrived :(

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Ive been having migrators for at least a month maybe longer. When my regulars were here they were drainging those walmart feeders 4times a day, but the ones here now are lucky to drain them once a day.

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

I had one really late tonight. The front motion light was on and really lit up the feeder. I think he got back home just in time

• bdriver71
    16 years ago

I haven't seen a hummer since the 20th. Feeders are moving down a little, so maybe missing some migrators. I never boil the water. We have a well and I assume the minerals are good for them. Am I right?

• yodlei44
    16 years ago

I used to boil 20 minutes & then I heard it should be for 2 so I'm at 2. Put in the freezer a short time to cool quickly if need. When it was very hot out, they seemed to enjoy it cool. They would wait for me to hang it up & drink for a long time. Dr.'s Foster & Smith has pixie stix looking flavors to add to your sugar water...passion fruit, etc. They say there are no chemicals & is safe. Anyone heard bad or good about this?