Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

20+ Lbs. of Sugar...The Frenzy is On!!!

donnalovesblue
14 years ago

Domino should send me a thank you note since I've been keeping them in business, at least for a couple of weeks!! There are so many hummers that I can barely keep up with the 10 feeders. I've used about 20 lbs. in 5, maybe 6 days. As usual, the frenzy begins early am, tapers off just a little and beginning about 5pm, every port is busy and others, just swarming waiting for a turn! It's such an incredible sight and wish I had photos to post. I will stand at the kitchen window (where 5 feeders are located) while DH watches the other 5 in the patio area, and attempt to count which is ridiculously impossible of course. Don't know when the current population will begin to diminish, but I'm enjoying every minute of it, though they are working me to death!

DH suggested that I take down a few feeders to lessen the workload...AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! I'll continue to help fatten them up as long as they're around.

Donna

Comments (11)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

A hummer frenzy and no photos or videos, how sad. Enjoy.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it is...plans are to purchase a new camera for this task, then learn how to post them! I might get one this weekend, but by the time I learn how to use it, the season will probably be over. I really enjoy all the photos you experts graciously share with us.

• ccl38
    14 years ago

I have one Ruby Throat that has been with me since early spring and he flits through the plants about every 10 minutes. How I wish I had a swarm to feed. My little guy seems to prefer plants to the feeder but I keep the feeder up for him just in case.

• nanaboo
    14 years ago

Donna, I am having a frenzy here in Baton Rouge, LA. Strange, no activity at window feeder in front of house, all t he activity is back yard, from feeder hanging in crepe myrtle tree. So, this morning I moved the window feeder to window on back porch, and they attached it! This is so much fun, sitting in my rocker on back porch and watching. Like you, I need a new camera, so I can take some great pictures and learn how to post.
    Nanaboo

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nanaboo, I'm not terribly far from you in Meridian, MS, so those of us in the south are getting lots of activity!

cc138, Here's the way to attract a swarm, particularly this time of year....feeders, feeders, feeders!!!! The more you put up, the more hummers you'll have. To have lots of hummer friendly flowers is fine (I don't) and no doubt they love them. Next season, if you add more feeders, you'll have many more hummers for sure, but be prepared for the work in Aug. and Sept!

Donna

• nanaboo
    14 years ago

Donna, Thanks, I will definitely add more hummers next year. I love the window feeders to watch up close. I will buy the jewel ? window feeder also. I was trying to take pictures from inside today, and was almost nose to nose with hummers feeding. I noticed one male today, among many females.

Nanaboo

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Not much activity here, but there is one surprising item of interest. Was gone all day yesterday but this morning I had noticed that my jewelbox feeder was down considerable. Daily here IM seeing a couple throughout the day, but sometimes 3 or 4 but not at the same time. Quite different from last year when I had a lot of hummers thru sept, and even had hummers untill oct 18th, what a difference a year makes.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Hey Steve, I see you mentioned your Jewel Box feeder. Have you seen the hummers drink past the 1/3 capacity yet?

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steve, you probably have more hummers than you think..you're just not seeing them all at one time. About 3 weeks ago, I had a sudden appearance of more males. Now, I'm seeing many more females than males. Any explanation for that?

Donna

• LaurelLily
    14 years ago

I agree, Steve, if you have a spread layout, you are probably missing a lot of action. From inside, I only see so much of my garden, and what I see has epic territorial chasing that amuses me to no end, but when I go out, there is lantana here, mandevilla over that way, and butterfly bush in this place, and esperanzas back there... I know there are more hummers spread out when I go into the yard. They are not all at my window.

That said, I have several chasing each other and claiming perches, but I've never had a *feeding frenzy* at my feeder, either. Wow, that sounds fun! I watch the videos and patiently wait for the day my set-up brings the crowds. GW sure helps me get sorted out.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

ken-- No cant say I have but I usually change it before then though, the real test for that will be next season

donna-- As we know the males leave first followed by the females and then the juvies so it makes perfect sense.

Sponsored
More Discussions