Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcs23

Maryland Hummingbirds -- Have they left yet?

lcs23
15 years ago

Hello Folks,

Up until this weekend we were seeing at least 3 hummingbirds at our feeder. We live in Montgomery County, Maryland. I haven't seen them in at least 3 days and I'm guessing that they began their journey south. Has anyone else had the same experience? I miss them already!'

Comments (41)

• daddydon5
    15 years ago

I also live in Montgomery County, MD (Bethesda) and we still have our hummers. I thought our's had left as well, but they made an appearance today after the storm was over. I normally don't see any past the second week in September, so I am hoping that they will stay a bit longer.

• beaniebeagle
    15 years ago

still here in baltimore city, can see them chasing each other around at the feeders

• lcs23
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I put my feeder back out after dumping all the water that had collected from the storm. I'm hoping to get a few more glimpses before they make their trek south.

• beaniebeagle
    15 years ago

still here in the city of baltimore

• Ann
    15 years ago

I haven't seen mine (near Annapolis) in about 10-14 days, but based on Beaniebeagle's post, I'll keep the feeders up!

This is my first year with Hummers---when should I mark on my calender to put the feeders up in the spring?

Thanks,

Ann

• mary grether
    15 years ago

Ditto with me about when to put feeders out.

• beaniebeagle
    15 years ago

i am down to two

so keep out the feeders

• christy2828
    15 years ago

Haven't seen mine in a few days, but I usually see them until the beginning of October. Christy

• daddydon5
    15 years ago

I have not observed any of our hummers in several days. I believe they have departed from my part of Montgomery County (Bethesda). I will get to travel to Arizona a couple times between now and May, so I will get my hummingbird fix that way.

• bdriver71
    15 years ago

Keep those feeders up. I live in Eastern PA. Half way up. I am still seeing hummers every day. They are here about 3 weeks later than previous years. When I don't see any for at least a week, I drop back to 2 feeders. I always leave 1 out till the temps drop below freezing. My feeders go up
    April lst, about 2 weeks before I've ever seen them. I've been so worried you guys South of me would take them down, since they have stayed up here so much later. No males for weeks though.

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

bdriver, Have no fear!! I'm way south of you (TN), and I don't take my last feeder down 'til the freezing temps threaten to break it.

• nva_birdcrazy
    15 years ago

I live in Northern Virginia and had two hummer sightings today. Please keep those feeders up!

• daddydon5
    15 years ago

I saw a beautiful male in our garden Monday morning around 7:30 AM, much later in the season than I usually see our hummers. The feeders will stay up for a while longer.

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

Yes! Keep those feeders up at least till November. I live in Delaware on the Delmarva peninsula and I had Hummers here as late as Oct. 4t. Because of that I will have feeders up at least till sometime in November.
    Vicki

• bdriver71
    15 years ago

Thanks ctnchpr and those of you South of me who are keeping your feeders up. I am seeing very few now, but still have 3 feeders up. It's great to have the internet to stay in touch with everyone and give our hummers the best chance of a safe journey. It's too quiet here now without my regulars. Here comes another long cold PA winter.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

I have left glass feeders out all winter before and they never cracked.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

This is my first post. I just wanted to let everyone know that I left my feeder up late this year due to an article my husband read in the newspaper encouraging to do so and I've had an immature male ruby-throat every day at the feeder since last Friday (11/5). I thought I was seeing things! He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to leave,I just hope the sugar water doesn't freeze up on him.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" is still here in Frederick County. I saw him about 8:30 this morning and looks like he's putting on some weight!

• terrene
    13 years ago

You guys are lucky to see the hummers this late in the fall. My last sighting this year was on September 14th. Doesn't mean that a migrant hasn't come through that I didn't see. The Zinnias and Cardinal climber, and other flowers, were blooming well into October.

I hope "Junior" heads south soon - it seems much too cold to still be hanging around zone 6!

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I saw "Junior" at 8 and 8:30 this morning. I increased the sugar/water ratio to 1:3 and wrapped the feeders in bubble wrap. It's supposed to be pretty mild here for the next week so I think there will be plenty of bugs for him to eat to supplement his diet if he sticks around a while longer.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I saw "Junior" at about 7:00 this morning and really noticed the red spot on his throat getting larger

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I saw "Junior" a few times again today and he is not as timid with other birds around him as he was when he first arrived over a week ago. He's getting a bit more aggressive, I guess that's a sign of maturity in a hummer. And I also wonder if I'm the only one left in MD with hummers as I haven't seen any other posts from people in this state for a while.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" was at the feeder almost constantly today in the wind and rain, we received 1" of rain and I saw him hiding out in the butterfly bush next to the feeder, still plenty of leaves on it for cover.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" was here again all day today, thinks he owns the place!

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I saw "Junior" about a half-dozen times today. He's looking more and more like an adult.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" has been here for two weeks now. It was only 34 degrees out around 7 a.m. I don't see him as often at the feeder when it's cold out, just the opposite of what I thought he would do. He seems to feed more when it's warmer.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" (male ruby-throat) was here again today bright and early. It was about 32 degrees out when I saw him and he sat at the feeder quite a bit this morning just looking around. The cold weather doesn't seem to be bothering him.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" is still here, saw him about a half-dozen times today. Weather is pretty mild.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I just got back this afternoon from vacation and there was "Junior" at the feeder shortly thereafter and he looked a litte chubbier! I think I'm going to round up some little Christmas lights and wrap them around the feeder tomorrow. It's supposed to go down into the 20's tonight.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I wasn't able to post my sighting yesterday, computer was down but "Junior" was here and again today. He arrives right around 6:50 a.m. and see him off and on all day and lastly around 3:30 p.m.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I saw "Junior" at 7:45 this morning as well as throughout the day. Rainy and windy but mild, plenty of bugs for him to eat.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I saw "Junior" at about 7:15 this morning and lastly near sunset. It's supposed to get pretty cold tonight.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" is still here, staying later at the feeder in the afternoon, almost till sunset.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" was here all day today even during the snow flurries, doesn't seem to faze him in the least.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" our male RT is still here, staying longer and longer at the feeder just before sunset.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" has been here for one month today.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

I thought that maybe "Junior" had left because I didn't see him all morning and then he showed up early in the afternoon. He wasn't at the feeder very often, very cold and windy today.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

"Junior" is still here, I see him only once in a while at the feeder. It's supposed to go down to 24 degrees tonight and be very windy. I now have 200 little Christmas lights wrapped around the feeder! It looks like a Chinese lantern.

• bluehummer
    13 years ago

It turns out that "Junior" is a HY male Anna's hummingbird! The MOS was out yesterday and banded him. That's the good part. The sad part for me anyway is that he departed about 4 hours later. So, if there are any people still looking at these posts I hope that you still have your feeders up, he may be visiting soon, I hope.

• richsalvatore
    12 years ago

Today is September 13 and I still have hummers here in the Hagerstown area.

• lvillee
    7 years ago

I am in Montgomery County and sadly, I haven't seen them for the last 2 days.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022
More Discussions