Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Bouvardia ternifolia

mehitabel
9 years ago

Robert 1971 mentioned this bouvardia as attractive to hummingbirds, and I tried some this summer, one in a railing planter on the deck, and one in a wooden box planter on the patio below.

This is covered in red flowers constantly, and hummers have been at both plants recently. Definitely attractive to hummers.

Comments (11)

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bimping this down

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

I'm bumping this up! Laugh.

I do like this plant as do the hummers but I haven't quite figured out how to keep it happy.
    It's probably in too large of a pot and I'm probably over watering it.
    Also maybe it doesn't like full sun and would prefer dappled?
    I've also noticed that once the branches start turning woody they are extremely brittle and easily break.

Okay. I've said enough.
    Glad you and your hummers like it! :)

-Robert

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Robert, I was hoping you would see this post :)

It is floppy. I put some plant supports under the biggest one to keep it off the ground.

I have one in half (or more) shade in a raised bed on the patio and one in sun (from Logee's) on the deck railing. Both are happy, but the one in shade is floppier. So I think sun is ok, probably beneficial for more blooms.

About overpotted-- If you are planning to overwinter it, you don't want it in too big a pot. Too small over the winter would be better. Can't you just tip it out, see what's down there? That's what I would do.

I think your plant just needs a good hard cutting back. You would sacrifice some flowers. One of the plants I received was from Plants Delight, which promised a hardier version. It is a much bigger plant, genetically I think. Point is, the PD one was woody and showed evidence of a really hard cutting back into wood and resprouting from app 2" above the soil. So I think a cutting back would be safe.

If you decide to cut it back, that would make the issue of overpotting more serious.

Mine are newer, it's true, but have lots and lots more flowers-- just covered in red. I distinctly remember you posted a picture of yours covered i blooms earlier this spring (why I bought them). If it did look like that earlier, definitely check the pot and cut it back hard. There has to be a reason PD cut it back so hard, it may be one of those that needs refreshing every so often.

Have you succeeded with cuttings? I would like to make some cuttings, keep from having to buy it again next year. If you have any cutting tips to pass on, I would appreciate it as I am definitely going to have this each year.

I am trying some softwood cuttings, and also layered a branch earlier without success. Now I'm thinking of trying some of the older wood for cuttings. If you cut yours back, please try a few cuttings and post about your success with them.

Please keep me updated onwhat you do with this-- it is a beautiful thing when covered with red, such a brilliant red, and so many blooms.

PS hope you had lots of sumer success this year! I'm very pleased with mine, tho #s are down a little now as the fatties leave.

9 years ago

Ha! I almost mentioned trying to root a cutting. I shoved a brittle branch that had broken off from the base into some 5:1:1 mix and it has sprouted new leaves but I flipped it out of its pot and I don't see any roots.
    Probably should switch it to the gritty mix and cut the mother plant back before the first frost and repot it into a smaller pot with the gritty mix in attempts to keep it alive through the winter. :)
    I don't want to sacrifice any current blooms to keep my fatties happy. Laugh.

This has been the best year ever for hummers!
    I don't even want to think about my last spotting of the season but I know it's coming up. :(

-Robert

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Robert, those look like more than just new leaves, looks like an entire branch. That means to me it is trying to root. I bet the roots would come out close to the new sprouts.

If no roots, could you cut the stem a little shorter on one, closer to the sprout, see what happens?

Yeah, best summer ever! :)

Let's trade info on cuttings of the bouvardia. It's a glorious plant for the deck railings.

9 years ago

Put it in the gritty mix but I don't see any roots coming out from the bottom just yet.
    Perhaps bottom heat might speed things up or rooting hormones?

This morning I noticed a Monarch on it.
    Yet another reason to grow this beautiful plant!

Also saw a hummer in the backyard. Always wonder when my last spotting of the year will occur. :(

-Robert

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Robert. I checked my cuttings this morning--no roots. I think I'll try again next spring, might be easier then. Not enough warmth left in the soil outdoors now, I think.

However, I do think the roots will start from the bottom of the new shoots.

Interesting about the Monarchs liking the Bouvardia. But who could resist that brilliant clear red? I grew asclepias at my other house and had clouds of them, but haven't seen any here.

I had one hummer left as of two days ago, but not seen much on the feeder, saw him in the Bouvardia, the Ava, and on the deck. The season was way too short this year. Wish I lived further south.

PS The Bouvardia from Plants Delight is claimed to be hardy to Zone 7, might work outdoors for you where you are. PD has lots of plants hardy to zone 7 if you're interested, including a lantana, and scores of Salvia.

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Robert. I checked my cuttings this morning--no roots. I think I'll try again next spring, might be easier then. Not enough warmth left in the soil outdoors now, I think.

However, I do think the roots will start from the bottom of the new shoots.

Interesting about the Monarchs liking the Bouvardia. But who could resist that brilliant clear red? I grew asclepias at my other house and had clouds of them, but haven't seen any here.

I had one hummer left as of two days ago, but not seen much on the feeder, saw him in the Bouvardia, the Ava, and on the deck. The season was way too short this year. Wish I lived further south.

PS The Bouvardia from Plants Delight is claimed to be hardy to Zone 7, might work outdoors for you where you are. PD has lots of plants hardy to zone 7 if you're interested, including a lantana, and scores of Salvia.

9 years ago

Potted up this cutie into a terracotta smaller pot yesterday and so far so good.
    It will be nice to see its bright cherry color when everything is dead outside. :)

-Robert

• mehitabel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks healthy to me!

9 years ago

I hope your two plants are inside and doing well. :)

Sponsored
More Discussions