Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Dismay, even grief, turned to relief, even joy

mehitabel
10 years ago

As we were just leaving the house early this afternoon I saw a hummer had come into the garage (couldonly have been a few minutes before).

I had read about hummers trapped in garages, and put a feeder in the door, everything red I could find in the house just outside the door.

The trouble I think, is they remember how to get in, so they keep going to the side of the garage where the door is, but the open door prevents them from seeing the door opening so they fly desperately around up there, flying against the ceiling, but never getting to where they can actually *see* how to get out.

He just wore himself out then would cling to the wire or struts for the mechanism. It is so distressing to see them so frightened and not be able to help them.

Finally I decided to just let him have some peace to calm himself and get the courage to try again to get out. Left the doors half open to reduce the amount of blockage of his sight of the door, and left the red all over outside. When I peeked out just now (app 3 hours later) he was gone!

What a relief! Thank heavens, and it's still two hours til dark so he can eat himself fat again before dark.

I told my husband we have to get rid of or hide every single red tool, bucket, anything in that garage. And the tag! !!!

And I think next time I won't stress out so much, or try so hard to "help", all the while scaring the poor thing to death. I'll just leave the door open, put all the red out there, and give him enough peace so he can think his own way out.

Comments (4)