Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dismay, even grief, turned to relief, even joy

Posted by mehitabel z6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 18:44

As we were just leaving the house early this afternoon I saw a hummer had come into the garage (couldonly have been a few minutes before).

I had read about hummers trapped in garages, and put a feeder in the door, everything red I could find in the house just outside the door.

The trouble I think, is they remember how to get in, so they keep going to the side of the garage where the door is, but the open door prevents them from seeing the door opening so they fly desperately around up there, flying against the ceiling, but never getting to where they can actually *see* how to get out.

He just wore himself out then would cling to the wire or struts for the mechanism. It is so distressing to see them so frightened and not be able to help them.

Finally I decided to just let him have some peace to calm himself and get the courage to try again to get out. Left the doors half open to reduce the amount of blockage of his sight of the door, and left the red all over outside. When I peeked out just now (app 3 hours later) he was gone!

What a relief! Thank heavens, and it's still two hours til dark so he can eat himself fat again before dark.

I told my husband we have to get rid of or hide every single red tool, bucket, anything in that garage. And the tag! !!!

And I think next time I won't stress out so much, or try so hard to "help", all the while scaring the poor thing to death. I'll just leave the door open, put all the red out there, and give him enough peace so he can think his own way out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dismay, even grief, turned to relief, even joy

bumping this down

o

Glad to hear the hummer got out okay!

o

• Posted by mboston 9a(fl)Lakleland (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 11:53

A neighbor had the same problem. A hummer would fly in when it saw the red cord hanging down from the garage door mechanism.
She finally got the bird out and painted the red part white. Solved the problem.

o

Yes it is the red cord handle that attracts them to the garage entrance so painting a different color would help. I have had hummers fly in but they always just fly back out. My garage attic is closed off and my ceiling is not high so I think that cuts them off, anyway never had a problem with hummers getting trapped in the garage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here