Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What insects do humming birds eat

Posted by chao South Ga (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 13, 09 at 18:48

Does any one know of special plants that attract the insects that hummers eat.Red

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What insects do humming birds eat

I've read that they eat spiders (they also use webs to build their nests), flies, and all sorts of insects. Whatever they can catch. Apparently, nectar (sugar) is only needed for energy to catch bugs; it's NOT their primary diet.

So... no pesticides, and your hummers should have plenty of food!

o

I read an article that suggested putting your old banana peels near the feeder to attract gnats and such for the hummingbirds. All I attracted was a raccoon, but it could work for you. :)

o

I hang rotting bananas in a suet feeder for my butterflies that prefer it rather than nectar (Hackberry and Tawny Emperors, Question Marks, Mourning Cloaks). In turn, it also attracts the fruit flies, which the hummers can snag when they visit the feeder located about 3 feet from the suet feeder. Synergy and bliss for them.

Susan

o

Hummers will eat fruit flies, aphids, gnats, white flies, mosquitos and small spiders.

Nasturtiums are an aphid magnet and in some years honeysuckle is also a magnet for aphids. White Flies love salvias especially in drier weather

Penny

o

When the hummers are plentifull I like to get up early and watch them feed on knats and other small insects flying low to the ground. Always brings a smile on my face.

o

• Posted by chao South Ga (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 15, 09 at 19:21

Thank yall very much.Still a lot of activity hear. Red

o

I put out some nearly rotten fruit, thanks to the above suggestions... We shall see if I get more bugs for hummers, and more butterflies. So far, just ants! :)

o

voodoobrew, I've tried liquidy bad fruit a few more times for my butterfly population on perfect weather days, and still just ants for me, too, while the butterflies went about their time at the flowers oblivious to my offering.

I should keep trying, though, especially now that the hummingbirds are here too and might be interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here