Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chao_gw

What insects do humming birds eat

chao
14 years ago

Does any one know of special plants that attract the insects that hummers eat.Red

Comments (10)

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

I've read that they eat spiders (they also use webs to build their nests), flies, and all sorts of insects. Whatever they can catch. Apparently, nectar (sugar) is only needed for energy to catch bugs; it's NOT their primary diet.

So... no pesticides, and your hummers should have plenty of food!

• ctnchprs_daughter
    14 years ago

I read an article that suggested putting your old banana peels near the feeder to attract gnats and such for the hummingbirds. All I attracted was a raccoon, but it could work for you. :)

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

I hang rotting bananas in a suet feeder for my butterflies that prefer it rather than nectar (Hackberry and Tawny Emperors, Question Marks, Mourning Cloaks). In turn, it also attracts the fruit flies, which the hummers can snag when they visit the feeder located about 3 feet from the suet feeder. Synergy and bliss for them.

Susan

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Hummers will eat fruit flies, aphids, gnats, white flies, mosquitos and small spiders.

Nasturtiums are an aphid magnet and in some years honeysuckle is also a magnet for aphids. White Flies love salvias especially in drier weather

Penny

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

When the hummers are plentifull I like to get up early and watch them feed on knats and other small insects flying low to the ground. Always brings a smile on my face.

• chao
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank yall very much.Still a lot of activity hear. Red

• voodoobrew
    14 years ago

I put out some nearly rotten fruit, thanks to the above suggestions... We shall see if I get more bugs for hummers, and more butterflies. So far, just ants! :)

• LaurelLily
    14 years ago

voodoobrew, I've tried liquidy bad fruit a few more times for my butterfly population on perfect weather days, and still just ants for me, too, while the butterflies went about their time at the flowers oblivious to my offering.

I should keep trying, though, especially now that the hummingbirds are here too and might be interested.

• HU-441644965
    3 years ago

I am listening to hummingbird chatter this morning from the front porch, we have single hibiscus with a little bit of whiteflies, my question is will hummingbirds make a nest in hibiscus? If they do I may share some pictures of hummingbirds being hummingbirds🤩🤯😲😎

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"my question is will hummingbirds make a nest in hibiscus?"

They might. But you will not see any nesting activity until early spring. Even in areas where hummers are year round residents, late winter (February) is about as early as you will find them nesting and egg laying.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions
More Discussions