Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

Dwindling numbers

ctnchpr
14 years ago

I had a good crowd yesterday, but after a cool night, the numbers were way down today. The 2 adult males that were here yesterday were gone today. The forecast calls for an even cooler night, so most of the others will probably leave tomorrow. Thought I'd better get one last picture...

Comments (11)

• mimidi
    14 years ago

I like the way you have your feeders hung. I keep saying I am going to do something like that.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

If the hummers are dwindling at your place that is a bad sign for all of us. Windy the last two days but still have at least one hummer here even after last nights low of 45.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The count continues to fall here, the max yesterday was 6; today, it was 4.

• technodweeb
    14 years ago

I still have one ruby throat here in upper ilinois near the chicago area. She's so close to the feeder, i went out to change the water, and she was hovering a foot away from me waiting for me to finish filling it.

It's time for her to leave. Poor thing. she needs to get moving. .. .but I'll keep feeding her.

but this is one of those times, I hope to never see another one for the rest of the season. because NOW, if they're still here, there's something wrong.

I want her to get going. Time for you to leave hon, head to warmer areas. Don't pay attention to these other wingnuts here, they STAY, they don't leave. Those chickadees and juncos. They're TOWNEES, they're always here.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

It's encouraging to me that you guys north and east still have hummers. I haven't seen one since Sunday. My feeders are ready, everything here is in bloom. Hope to entice some traverlers headed south soon.
    I think they all stopped at Nana's place for a few days.

• technodweeb
    14 years ago

Rob a

Can I send her to you? I pointed at some geese heading south, and told her FOLLOW THEM. . .

It's October 4th, and she's STILL HERE. . .she STILL HASN'T LEFT YET. . .

She has to get going. . .I have to make some more food, because if she's gonna hang around, I'll keep feeding her until she leaves. . .

It's so cold here. ..43 this morning. . .only 50s today. . .I don't understand why she hasn't left yet.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Tell her to take I35 west to Des Moines then south to San Antonio. Tell her it's a nice warm day here, high 80. And there's lots of blooms and a fresh feeder are here for her. And Mesquite trees with thick soft leaves to sleep in at night that her cousins have enjoyed all summer.

I'm surprised you still have her there. But last year I had one in late october with lows in the forties. So I have to keep at least one feeder out into November for the late migrants. Send her to me.

• ala8south
    14 years ago

It's just sad to see them go. I'm torn between rushing out to make really fresh! juice for them far more frequently to try to keep them here as long as possible and cutting back to encourage them to move on. Right now the fresh juice urge is strongest. Mom so enjoys watching them that I dread having them go! There's so little she can do now that gives her enjoyment. Anyway, I've removed one hummer feeder and put up a regular birdseed feeder to try to start getting some action going there so mom has something else to watch.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There was a spike of 9 on Sat, but otherwise, it's been a steady 4 per day since the 1st. I think they're all migrants now, I know this little juvie male is...

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

I am down to only one hummer for the first time since July. My hummer is a female who has now been here for six days. She doesn't really seem any fatter, but she does use the feeder frequently. I always see her there at first and last light.

• LaurelLily
    14 years ago

How funny you guys are "down to" six! I'm "up to" six at a time, and broke down and brought out the old cheap feeder I had before I got one that was ant and bee resistant. Then two feeders weren't enough, when I swore I'd only have one, and I got another to space them out in the yard. Just yesterday, I saw two actually feeding together peacefully, at a truce. And if I saw six at a time there were probably more perching in trees, that I didn't see.

Tomorrow night's a cold front. We'll be down to the 60s (it's been high 80s all week). I'm expecting that will shoo them away. I was watching them sipping tonight and am bracing myself to see nothing tomorrow. But don't worry, the feeders will stay fresh and the flowers will be blooming at least another month and a half!

Sponsored
More Discussions