Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Could this be my last hummer ?

hummersteve
14 years ago

Any day could bring the end , it could happen just that way. But since I was blessed with this young bird this evening thought I would grab a photo. It sat there for at least 5 full minutes gorging itself. Have a new trip ,hummer.

{{gwi:1001036}}

{{gwi:1001038}}

Comments (12)

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Hopefully that won't be your last!

With the wider bottle throat of the first nature do you notice that the liquid drops into the bottom with the slightest shake of the feeder? I would imagine that the narrower throat of the PP209 would prevent this better, but it sure makes it harder to clean.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

Everyone seems to have, and like, those First Nature feeders. I am considering getting one next season, assuming this type of feeder works ok if I only fill it with 4 oz of nectar... and it doesn't leak and/or attract bees.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Water will go down into the base untill it fills and this feeder is extremely easy to clean. I also use a port brush on the holes and have very little problem with bees on it.

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Steve, it's always sad when we think we've seen our last for the season. I know whenever my last one disappears, I maintain that "lookout" for a week or so hoping just one more will come my way. We just have to wave goodbye and wait until spring, anxiously anticipating our first arrival of a new season. You've apparently had a banner year and I sure hope it's a repeat next year.

Speaking of the First Nature feeders, I just love them. They may not have the shelf life of the pps, but the easy cleaning makes them a favorite of mine.

Donna

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

I understand that water will go down till it fills, but I would imagine with the wider jar that air would get into the bottle easier with the same swing. Guess it really does not matter as the feeder seems not to leak for anyone.

I saw a feeder at walmart a few months ago with a plastic square bottle and a two part base. Actually all the bases were separated from the top half. Are these the First Nature feeders?

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

I just checked the map on Journey North for the fall migration south. You should still be seeing hummers, Steve, unless it is terribly inaccurate. The Monarch migration is always very accurate.

They track two species, the Ruby Throat and Rufous.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Fall 2009 Migration Map

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

Thanks for the map link. It's nice to know hummers are still being reported in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan and southern Manitoba, Canada.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As I was standing outside chatting on my cell guess who appeared not 5ft from me on the first nature feeder. You guessed it, a beautifull adult male. Didnt hang long but made my day. Pleasant voyage big fellow.

• cdm317
    14 years ago

Are they still in NJ? I haven't seen any of my regulars for a couple of days now. I really like that feeder in the photo. I had posted a couple of weeks ago about my bee/wasp/yellow jack problem. Thanks for your help, it worked. Too bad the ants are still coming!
    Where can you get that feeder? I'd like to get a couple for next year.
    I usually continue leaving food out until the end of October, but instead of changing it daily, I do it every other day, that's long enough, right?
    Thanks for sharing all the great photos!

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Hi cdm317,

I am in central New Jersey and I have not seen any hummers for well over a week. My regulars left even before that. You had normal activity up to a few days ago?

As far as the ants... get ant moats! They work great.

Here is the First Nature site, and on that page is an ant moat too. I got a different one from my local nursery for under $5.00 and it really works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My local walmart sells them as their main feeder.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

I just have a cheapo feeder that I suspend its hanger from a coat hangar. Double duty LOL. I then coat the wires with vaseline. Voila, no ants!

I think I spoke too soon - I have only seen 1 hummer in the last 3 days. I has been raining here, but that didn't seem to bother them with all the rain we had in August. Sigh.....

Sponsored
More Discussions