Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I fill saucer feeders half way?

Posted by blackmons z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 20:49

I put up my first hummingbird feeder a few weeks ago, and I am totally addicted to watching these amazing creatures! I have three Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds fighting over my saucer feeder. It's in full sun, outside my kitchen window, so I need to change the sugar water pretty frequently. If I just fill the saucer half way, will the hummingbirds be able to reach the water on the bottom? How far can their tongues reach?
Thanks,
Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I fill saucer feeders half way?

Their tongues are about twice as long as their bills so there should be no problem.

o

• Posted by ditas z4-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 23:19

Wow ~ I didn't know that shillanorth! No wonder I was watching very closely how Ms Speedy annoyed (surely) at a li'l sweat bees (frequenting her cafe) ~ chased the others around & zapped one! I didn't see it take off nor did it drop on our deck floor. I know they can devour li'l bugs, could she have this one?

I must pick up, well reviewed R Burton's book on these mini-Jewels ~ as recommended by mehitabel in a previous post!

o

I don`t have any experience with sweat bees up here but I do know that the bulk of their insect diet is baby spiders and then small gnats and other insects of similar size.

o

Hummingbird tongue...

photo IMG_0083.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here