Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

when to 'close the kitchen'?

vieja_gw
16 years ago

Still in the 70's here days & 45-50 nights & the hummers are still flocking to the feeders. Should I still feed them to get them ready for their journey south or should I 'close the kitchen' so they don't over stay ... or do they have the sense to leave when it is the correct time?

I have had more hummers here this year than any other that I can remember but have had to battle the darn wasps for the first time also!

Comments (20)

• User
    16 years ago

You just described our weather here in SW Lower Mi. Last week
    our last 2 Hummers were here and every other day we put out new food just to know they had good stuff to dine on. Actualy
    we did it because I know every time I change the nectar they
    come within minutes to feed. And we got to see them one more
    time, thinking it would be the last this yr. Now its been 2
    days.. no hummers. Today we put out fresh nectar. Tommorow I
    may put fresh again. I just want to see them once more. Well..
    2 weeks ago they left for 4 days. Who knows.. I just keep
    watching :)

• sidk
    16 years ago

Yes, they have the sense to leave when it is the correct time. They've been at this migration thing for a long time and are pretty good at it by now. ;)

• hawkeye3007
    16 years ago

My hummers seem to be gone...none sighted for two days,,,I'm gonna put out fresh "juice" today just in case...been in the 50's at nite here, and 80 in daytime...west central missouri...

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I keep my feeders out until November, in case a late migrator needs a boost. I've never seen one that late and doubt I ever will, but what the heck...

• esrungg
    16 years ago

I still have 1 as of this am and iam an hr north of Grand Rapids Mi

• scouterbecky
    16 years ago

I have seen none since Sunday, but I am keeping the diner open. Southern Illinois, one hour due east of St. Louis. 80s day time, 50s overnight

• hawkeye3007
    16 years ago

Well ignore my post LOL....the "one" I had showed up today, so I reloaded the two feeders!!..
    don

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Yes, keep your feeders out for as long as they come to it. They will leave when its time. If there are one or two that dont leave it will be because it is too weak or too old to make the trip and that too, is instinctive.

• User
    16 years ago

hawkeye3007: Its been about 4 days w/out seeing one but
    they have left before so the feeders are out.

• bdriver71
    16 years ago

It's been 2 weeks since I've seen one, but my front feeder continues to go down. This one is the least visible from the house. Yesterday I removed 2 of my 5 feeders. I will leave one out front and one in the back, till freezing becomes a problem. I would say at least leave 1 out as long as you can.

• esrungg
    16 years ago

Well its been 24 hrs (yesterday) since I have seen the one I had.I had my first one apr 29 and saw the last one sept 29. Now we have to wait 7 months.

• koszta_kid
    16 years ago

i haven't seen any for 5 days. But got 2 feeders out just incase. No real hard frost here yet. But glad I had so many this season. Going to buy few more Humm-zinger feeders so to keep them clean.

• lucygreenthumb
    16 years ago

I hadn't seen any for a week - I'd had atleast three. Then I saw a female at my window feeder once on Saturday and a male at some flowers once on Sunday. The main bunch have probably gone south but I keep my feeders filled until freezing becomes a problem - you never know when your feeder may be the only food a hummer passing through will be able to find to help him on his way. Especially as it gets colder and more of their natural foods freeze. Having a food source won't make a hummer stay - but it may help him refuel tpo continue.

• dominidan
    16 years ago

I've been without a hummer for at least two weeks. I see some of you above me still have some, so I'll keep the good stuff out there so I get one more look. Try to send them in my direction, just acroos the river from Trenton.

• terryr
    16 years ago

I still have the 2. Took this picture earlier today...I'm in Northern IL.

• User
    16 years ago

Iv been 6 days w/o a sighting. But the free buffet sign is
    still glowing. We miss the little guys.

• esrungg
    16 years ago

We could just all go down to mexico or panama and see them. As if. It was a good thought!

• yardenman
    16 years ago

I haven't seen any Hummers for a few days. But I will keep fresh nectar out "just in case" for 2 more weeks if a last migrator needs a bit of help.

• User
    16 years ago

I got no birdies, Ill cry when I take the feeder down. :(
    I have finaly stopped waiting.

• esrungg
    16 years ago

my last one has been gone a week now. I still have one feeder up and I dont want to take it down...but guess I will this week. I miss them.

Sponsored
More Discussions