Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lary1047

New Plant ideas needed for 2008!!

lary1047
16 years ago

Have a few questions for everyone. Looking for another vine for our trellis to replace the cyprus vine would like more color earlier in the year and more blooms to attract the hummers. The cyprus was nice however seemed to only flower toward the end of the growing vine. This 48 x48 inch trellis is on the deck growing from a large pot. Has anyone had good luck with Mandelvilla vine and does it attrack hummers.

Also we added another trellis system this year in a new bed

surrounded with red salvia this trellis system is 8 foot tall and 6 feet wide. We put in honeysuckle and nicely got started, will be better next year, so we added blue morning glory which were beautiful specially in the early morning. What could we replace the morning glory to help attract the hummers? The trumpet vine would be too heavy of a vine for the trellis. It can be an annual that is OK. How hard is it to get red morning glories, I have never seen it for sale

around this area SE Michigan!!

Our pineapple sage has never bloomed yet??? Has anyone elses??

Still have a few hummers here also.

Thanks for everyones suggestions in advance!!

Lary

Comments (9)

• judyny6
    16 years ago

Lary
    I plant scarlet runner bean every year- its an annual- and the hummers love it. The beans are also edible. My pineapple sage hasn't bloomed either- I don't really know why I planted it again this year, last year it bloomed in October, long after the hummers were gone! I guess I hoped this year would be different, but I won't plant it next year. Hope that helps.
    Judy

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

LOL Judy; me too! I swore I wouldn't get another pineapple sage, but I did, and it's not even blooming yet! My cypress vines have been blooming for a few months already. I did try a Cardinal Vine, but I'm really not too fond of it; I still prefer the cypress vine. I'd suggest "Orange Noah" morning glory, but it truly is invasive, and most morning glories aren't horrid reseeders for me. I haven't intentionally planted it for a few years now, yet it keeps sprouting like mad. As much as I try to rid my beds of this thug, the hummers sure do love it, so I put up with it, against my better judgement...

• scaldude
    16 years ago

My advise is to grow what they're familiar with in South America......Black & Blue Sage is native to Brazil.
    Mexican Sage is great here in Southern Cal....Armstrong's Nursery sells the 5ft. pure-breed & a 3ft. hybrid.

Good luck.

• lv6b
    16 years ago

About pineapple sage: Mine bloomed in the middle of the summer and was pretty much done by the time the August migraters came through! It didn't get many HB visits, maybe because it was hidden behind some mexican sunflowers that got taller than I'd expected. I'm trying to decide if it is worth trying again next year, if it will overwinter in my zone, if it should be dug up and brought in or if I should just start new next season? What are other gardener's experiences with Pineapple Sage?

• platypus41170
    16 years ago

I have 2 red mandlevilla vines growing on either side of my sliding glass doors in large planters and my hummingbirds liked them well.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

My Pineapple Sage here in Austin is in full bud, but has not bloomed all season. I thought maybe it was because I had it in too much shade!

• sitter_2007
    16 years ago

If it weren't for pineapple sage I would have very little color in my garden now. I'm growing new cuttings even as we speak in hopes of keeping them through the winter. I only wish it would bloom a little earlier but guess that's not possible.

• lv6b
    16 years ago

It's been 2 weeks since my post, and my pineapple sage has decided to rebloom! Same with my Lady in Red Salvia. We've had an unusually warm dry September in Connecticut. I'm glad any late migrators will have some nectar sources in my garden. I've noticed there are still plenty of wild nectar plants blooming too. I can't wait to try Black & Blue Sage next year.

• koszta_kid
    16 years ago

On my arbor i planted black eye susan vine.The hummer loved it. It's still in full bloom. But not for long. killing frost coming soon.

Sponsored
More Discussions