Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone help me ID this hummer?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 21:41

this is not my photo, but this looks JUST like the hummer I saw the other day and almost mistook it for a small bird (til I saw it's long hummer bill, etc.)

what type of hummer is this?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone help me ID this hummer?

I think it is a rufous.

o

• Posted by scaldude Sunset Z23 SouthOC (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 07 at 16:23

It's a little early, but it says here they winter, in small numbers, in the Gulf & SoCal coastal areas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rufous

o

Yes , a rufous, wintering in canada extreme northwest US. and have been spotted on rare occasions in states where they shouldnt be.

o

I think you mean they nest in Canada and extreme northwest US. This animated map is pretty cool and shows where they nest and where they winter in the US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rufous-type hummingbirds

o

I saw/heard one just the other day, so they are making there way down the coast. When we were in Alaska 2 years ago, I was happy to have seen one there as well.

They are fiesty little ones ")
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Taken this past February on their way up the coast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here