Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ams2009

Photos of my fall migration visitors

ams2009
11 years ago

This one had a deformed bill, poor thing!

I was so happy to see this Female Rufous at my feeders!! She was the 2nd rufous visitor I have had, had a male rufous visit last fall

Comments (13)

• jomuir
    11 years ago

Wow wow wow! Great pictures, at first I was going to say I like the 1st one best, then I scrolled down & I love them all! The midair shots are nice, I love the way I can see their little claws curled up. The one with the deformed bill, is very interesting. Feathers all fanned out, etc, just a great group of pics. Thanks for posting, now I get to see some hummers, since they seem to have all left Detroit.

What kind of feeder is that? It looks like glass but I can't tell.

• msomally
    11 years ago

Awesome pics!!!

• ams2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much jomuir! I am in Baton Rouge, LA and most of mine are gone now too, just one or two a day visiting feeders. I am hoping to get some western species that visit Louisiana for winter, so I am keeping my feeders up and filled!

• ams2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much, msomally! :)

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Great pictures.What kind of camera are you using?

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Great pictures.What kind of camera are you using?

• ams2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you denlali_2007! It's a canon rebel xs, shot these with 55-250mmIS lens. This is my first dslr, I have had it about 3 years now, am thinking about upgrading. I Love the xs though, it has been a great camera and great to learn with!

• Geneh7
    11 years ago

Great photographs! I had more hummingbirds at my 9 feeders this fall than ever before. They have all gone on south now except for 4 or 5. Keeping the feeders filled up was getting to be work. I'm just guessing but I must have had at least 100 hummers at the peak.

How long did the female Rufous stay with you? I had a Rufous stay last winter from November 27 until January 16.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

Those are amazing pictures!

• No-mom
    11 years ago

You are so lucky to have had such a wonderful bunch of visitors! I live in Alberta, Canada and we are lucky to see 2 or 3 at our feeder. My mother-in -law has a little better luck but their stay in our area is quite short. Thanks for sharing your photos.

• nanaboo
    11 years ago

To AMS 2009:
    I notice you live in Baton Rouge, LA. I am so excited, as I believe I spotted a female Rufous this morning , first time to see a Rufous! I am anxiously watching if she returns.Please e-mail me: Joyceboone@cox.net

• ams2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ladyrose65, Thank you!

• ams2009
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Geneh7, Nice pic! My rufous only stayed around a few days. But, I ended up having a black-chinned hummer show up at my feeders on December 13, 2012, he turned out to be my 1st official winter hummer. He stayed for over 2 months. I assumed he was a Ruby-throat at first, because he sounded like a Ruby, so I didn't take a closer look. A few days after he showed up, I happened to notice the sound of the wing whir as he was flying away from a feeder and it got my attention because it didn't sound like a Ruby wing whir at all, then I realized that I had yet to see a red gorget, so I started to pay closer attention and I finally got a glimpse of the purple gorget. I Never managed to get a really nice photo showing the gorget though, I am hoping he comes back this winter!